Part 17

I didn't tell Yusuke or anyone for that matter, and I did heed Kurama's words to some extent. I didn't see him or even look for him and I found that I didn't need to because I can feel him around from time to time, watching me. 'That hypocrite.' Has he already forgotten that I can sense him?

Anyway, the day of the full moon arrived. It is in the afternoon when I find myself following Yusuke to where he is meeting up with Kurama. I bet he's confused on why I didn't join him.

I took every precaution not to be found out and for that I raided some nifty Spirit world tools, consisting of a disguise, spirit energy suppressors and last but not least, a spray to change my scent. And when I find them headed for the hospital, I am not surprised at all. I guess it will all play out there and I'm making sure to get a front row seat.

//Kurama's point of view//

I spot the detective and he looks surprised at the location I asked him to meet me. I half expected Rosa to come with him, but I'm glad she listened to me. It's better this way.

"I've been waiting." I say as soon as he spots me. "Follow me."

He does so quietly. It will be simple. I let him know what's going on, do what I have to and afterwards he can take the Dark looking glass without any trouble. Not even Koenma himself has reason to complain afterwards.

I take him to mother's hospital room, the same one she has been in for months... She is surprised to see that I brought someone new with me as she sits up with some difficulty. I rush over as worry hits me. "It's okay mother, please lie down." I usher. She will not have it though.

"I'm feeling rather well today." she explains.

\"Shall I peel you an apple?" I offer.

"No thank you, I don't have an appetite." she answers tiredly.

I suppress a sigh. She hasn't been eating well at all. "You have to get some nutrition, or else you will never feel better." I urge.

She finally gives in. "Yes, yes. I will do as Shuichi says." she chuckles lightly.

After spending some time with her, she goes to rest and I take Yusuke up to the roof. "Are you finally going to explain?" he asks impatiently.

"I will." I says, turning to look over the city. "Shuichi is the name I adopted in the human realm. That woman is my adopted mother. My father died a long time ago. The thing is, for fifteen years I let her raise me under this deception."

"I'm not following you at all." the boy mutters. I guess it's time for the full story.

"My true identity is that of a Yoko, a fox that has lived for hundreds of years, taking on spiritual powers and becoming an enchanted creature. Breaking both seals and codes, I specialized in stealing ancient treasures. However, fifteen years ago, I was seriously injured by a powerful hunter. And so, I escaped to the human realm, still in my spiritual body. I then became one couple's child and thought that in that form, if I could put up with it for ten years, I would recover my spiritual powers. When that happened, I had planned on removing myself from that couple..."

"So then, why..?" Yusuke wonders, unsure of my current motivation.

"That woman... Mother's illness is incurable. It was then that those guys appeared. They invited me to join their band to steal the three great treasures of darkness. I then remembered the Dark looking glass and how it could grant one's greatest desire, see?" I say taking it out and looking down on it.

"And so?" Yusuke questions.

"I want to use it here to safe her." I say, telling him the reason why I took it. "If I can get that wish granted, I will return the treasure, go before King Yama the Great and receive my punishment." I explain.