Part 42

"I think I'll go for another round." Yusuke says, putting down his bowl.

"Amazing." I breathe, seeing as it will be his fourth. I've just finished my second and I'm completely stuffed, well...almost.

I stand up. "I'm going for deserts, but after that, I'm quitting." I announce getting up from the table occupied by the boys, the girls, Koenma and the Ogre. I've finally gotten properly introduced to Kuwabara's sister, Shizuru. She's really my kind of girl.

Gathering a full bowl of ice cream, I'm about to return to the others when I nearly walk into the masked fighter. "Sorry." I say, about to walk around them, but not being able to move as their eyes are locked steadily on me.

"What is it you want?" I ask eventually, feeling nervous under their gaze. They glance at the bowl of ice cream with narrowed eyes before motioning towards the door. My eyes widen at that. "What? Now? Can't I finish this fi..." I start to say, but waver at the stern look in their eyes.

"Fine." I sign, putting down my ice cream, leaving it to melt as I follow the masked fighter outside and into the darkening woods. Once we're in deep enough and sure of no one following us or listening in, they turn back towards me and pull the mask from their face.

I can't help but gape at what I see. "Did you visit a Botox-clinic Genkai?" I question as I look down at a younger version of my old teacher.

She huffs indignantly. "Of course not you fool." she scolds, her voice sounding different as well. "I have tapped into my powers so as not to be recognized by you kids and it left me in the state I was in when I was at my full potential. Sadly I couldn't fool you." she says with a hint of pride.

I grin. "Of course not. I know you too well."

"So it seems." she hums. "Anyway, I brought you here for a reason." she starts, making me look at her seriously. Always cutting to the chase that old lady, though 'old' is a relative term it seems.

"During this tournament, I expect Yusuke in need of more strength and I shall give it to him by giving up my own." she says, surprising me. "Yusuke will be the successor of my power, but I have a role for you as well..." she continues after seeing me having mixed emotions.

"There will be a time when I will no longer be here, not to train recruits and not to help those in need of guidance while they struggle with their powers. I want you to have the temple and everything that comes with it and you will be the one those with potential will turn to when their need is dire. I know you can guide them well."

After a moment of silence, I speak up, "How can you say something like that so casually? Are you seeing the end of the tunnel already?" I question, asking the last part jokingly.

Genkai looks unamused. "I would have given you my powers without question, if it didn't come with a turn-side. Yusuke will gain many more enemies as his power grows, as you already know. But he will handle it; he's just that kind of person. I know you can as well in your own way, but I don't wish that fate for you, it will break you apart someday. I want you to have an opportunity to life a calmer life in a more suited location than that crummy apartment of yours. That's what I want to leave you as your god-mother."

I open my mouth to protest, but are quickly cut off by a sharp look. "I already settled it with Koenma. It's final." she says.

I look at her silently as her eyes ask me not to argue. Many thoughts and emotions swirl in my head, trying to overrule each other. Finally I can't stay silent any longer.

"Why? Why are we talking about this now?" I question. "What do you expect to happen to you and when? What do you know that I don't Genkai?" I ask further, feeling worried.

Genkai smiles, a knowing look in her eyes. "Don't worry about me child. You know that some things are unavoidable...better than most sadly enough. Just keep your mind on the finish line where it belongs for now. If I want to make sure you're taken care off when the day comes, just let me do what I feel is necessary."

"I get that... But, it's the way you say it." I say quietly.

"Oh well, never mind that. I'm just old and you may not always be aware of it..." she starts eying me. "It is still a fact. One needs to prepare you know." she says rather nonchalantly, fishing out a cigarette and lighter from her pocket and lighting it.

As I stand there, she eyes me some more. "What are you waiting around for girl? I'm not going to drop dead yet. Off you go before the fox starts looking for you." she scolds making me stumble.

"Jeesh Genkai, what do you expect me to think?" I growl, feeling a little relieved at the assurance. Seeing her glare at my hesitation, I back off. "I'm going, I'm going!" I say, turning around and rushing back to the hotel.

Once I enter our room I come face to face with a worried Kurama. "Where did you disappear off to? One minute you were going to get a dessert and the next you're nowhere to be seen. I could not even follow your smell with all those strong-scented foodstuffs. I thought of looking here first, but..."

I cut him off from rattling on by placing my finger on his lips. "I'm sorry for worrying you, but I'm fine you see. I just got a little nauseous and went for a walk."

Kurama blinks at my explanation, seeing the logic, but still feeling weary. It's not easy to fool him and I feel bad for doing so. I just don't want to give Genkai away.

"Alright." he sighs, letting it go before his eyes widen in surprise as I softly wipe my finger across his cheek.

There is hardly any sign left of the cuts placed there this afternoon. "Good," I nod to myself. "I don't like it when anyone hurts you."