Part 15

I blink in confusion as I hear Yusuke's mom scolding before she leaves his room only to hear Yusuke scold at Botan. I step inside to see what's going on. He blinks in shock as he sees me. "You're here too?"

Now it's my turn to scold. "You idiot. I thought I told you to leave the fight to me."

"And you were doing such a great job at it." he retorts sarcastically.

"I hardly got even started." I retort making him scoff. I sigh, not wanting to argue over something so pointless.

He turns to Botan. "How did you even find us?" he questions.

"Using this." she says, holding up a watch looking thing. "I used it to follow Goki's energy." she explains as Yusuke takes it.

"You know, I was pretty nervous. He was no half pint." he says while deep in thought.

"The other two have even greater spiritual energy." Botan informs him. "We have a week to return those treasures or King Yama will really cause some damage when he returns. Will it even be possible?" she mutters.

"Jeesh Botan, you never used to be so negative." I comment making her wine.

"What do you think our chances are?" Yusuke asks.

"Goki can be dealt with, though it won't be easy. As for Kurama and Hiei...All I know is that we'll need a lot of luck and I don't like depending on luck to take me anywhere." I tell him with a frown framing my face. He nods, thinking it over.

We turn to the living room as the sound of the TV catches our attention. The news is on and it seems that there are more children falling victim to Goki with every hour. I narrow my eyes. "Children's spirits are his favorite." Botan says sadly.

"Botan, how long can a spirit last inside his stomach?" Yusuke asks.

"A day at most." she replies.

Yusuke nods determined before pulling on his uniform. "Alright."

"You want to have a go at him already?" I ask, surprised at his stubbornness.

"I'm gonna take him down." he says. "I know about the pain of a death of the body, but the death of a spirit must surely be a lot more painful right? You can't become a ghost and float around freely, for one. Those poor things." Yusuke says, working himself up. "Today, I'll be able to fire my spirit gun once. I won't be losing anymore like I did yesterday." I smile a bit at his determination. Perhaps he can make something of it after all.

Botan pulls out what looks like ring. I recognize it as I used it myself once. "We wanted to wait until your spirit energy raised some. It's a ring that will increase the power of your spirit gun, but once you use it, you will probably be unable to even stay standing because of exhaustion. So only use it as a last resort." Botan explains.

"Understood." he says before setting the watch from earlier to search for Goki. "Okay, let's go!" I nod. Goki will have to go down today and not a moment later.

We follow the direction the watch points us in before it suddenly goes haywire. "Botan! This thing is broken!" Yusuke scolds.

"I don't understand..." she says.

"It's not Yusuke. It's picking up more than one demon. I can sense him near." I tell them as I look around warily. It's not Kurama's, so that leaves...

He looks back at me surprised. "What now? We have to get to Goki. We don't have time for those other two now!"

I narrow my eyes, not wanting to do this, but I see no other choice. "We split up."

"What?!" Botan calls out alarmed.

"Botan, go with Yusuke to find Goki. I will go after the other one." I tell them.

"Are you sure?" Yusuke asks nervous.

"I'm afraid we don't have much choice Yusuke." I sigh. "Listen, I want you to make a promise to me for when you face him."

"What is it?" he asks, his eyes large.

"I want you to use your head. It's important." I tell him. I don't want him to aimlessly start swinging.

He blinks, but nods, turning serious. "Alright. Be careful Rosa." I nod at him, not showing my uncertainty.

"Good luck." I tell him before running off.

I follow the powerful energy to the back of a park. It being business hours, this little corner is abandoned as of yet, but for one person. He looks surprised to see me, but quickly recovers. "How did you find me human?"

"I'm not called a spirit detective for nothing." I retort. "I recognize your energy... You were at Kurama's the other day." I say to Hiei.

"Hm? So you must be that human friend of his. Disgusting." he states.

"Where is he?" I ask, getting to the point.

He scoffs. "I'm not his babysitter and I don't care where that traitor is. And for him to be hanging around Spirit world scum like you, he's an even bigger traitor than I thought."

I blink surprised. 'Traitor?' "What are you talking about?" I ask.

He narrows his eyes, looking annoyed. "Don't ask so many questions woman. I have more important business to take care off than to listen to you blab." he says, making a move to take off.

"Stop!" I yell making him halt. I point my glowing finger at him, making him quirk a brow.

"Hn. You really want to fight me?" he asks amused.

"That I do."

"Do you really think you stand a chance against me?" he chuckles.

"Only one way to find out." I half shrug, my eyes sharp.

He scoffs again before smirking. "It's your funeral." he says, turning back at me and moving to take out his sword when he suddenly freezes. I blink in confusion. Why is he hesitating?

"Tsch." he hisses after a moment, looking more annoyed than before as he sheets his sword again. "Damn him..." he mutters under his breath before he turns away.

"Where do you think you're going?! Fight me!" I shout at him. He's making a fool out of me.

He looks back over his shoulder annoyed. "I'm not fighting you!" he shouts back, surprising me. I drop my hand to my side.

"Why the hell not?!" I question.

"Again with the questions..." He points a finger at me. "Consider yourself lucky woman. Next time there won't be anyone holding me back from gutting you." he threatens before disappearing.

I look into the direction he went off to, utterly confused. 'What the hell was he talking about? Who's holding him back?' I concentrate, looking for another energy signal that would explain why Hiei of all people would chicken out on me. I figured he was too much of a hot-head to run away from any battle.

My eyes widen as I just catch on to a hint of Kurama's energy, telling me he was near just a moment ago. 'Was he...?' I shake my head before gripping my hair. I feel even more confused now, if that is even possible. "Stop doing this to me! Kurama!"

Wow. Kurama is really giving Rosa a whiplash with his behavior. So what's his deal? And what will happen when they face each other?