13

The silence of the night seemed eerie against Bryce's sharp intake of breath. I almost regretted asking him the question. But it was done. And I had asked. So now all I could do was wait for his reply.

It seemed like hours before his shocked eyes darted from mine to something behind me. Or maybe it was nothing in particular. I couldn't tell. He moved away, not looking at me anymore as if deep in thought, before getting out of bed and stopping to stand beside the window, staring into the night... In the direction of the beautifully lit castle. His castle.

"You caught that, didn't you?"

I sighed. Oh boy had I. "Yes"

He turned towards me. His expression grave. "My eyes... they're different..."

I rolled my eyes. "I can tell. A-are you not human?"

Bryce's eyes widened a fraction, and I could only hold my breath waiting for him to say Yes. Yes Theia, I'm an alien. I almost braced myself for that... Almost planned out how I would react. But all that came was a pearl of hysterical laughter.

Bryce watched me, his eyes twinkling as he continued to laugh, breathing deeply in between laugh spurts. He finally stopped when I began to glare at him. He laughed so much it almost seemed fake.

"I assure you Theia, I'm human. Not a God sent angel,"

Strangely, where I should have been feeling relieved I felt a tinge of irritation. Maybe it wasn't surprising at all because I was far from blind, and my senses hadn't run highway. I was painfully aware of the walls built up behind his laughter. Bryce had lied.

And that hurt.

I bit back a "liar" and quite convincingly-well to my standards anyway-smiled and replied with a soft "Okay."

I'd find out the truth. No more lies. Bryce would have to learn.

As if content with my response Bryce beamed and marched towards me, pulling me against his chest and just like always, the only thing I managed to do was cling to his shirt so that I wouldn't fall to the floor like mush.

"I like you! A lot!"

I stilled. Had I said that? Oh crap Theia!

I moved back, panic stricken as I watched a wide eyed Bryce stare at me. I swallowed hard but looked away.

You're officially an idiot.

"I-er- I'll just" I stepped back to move away.

Need space to recover... Recover lost sanity and a mouth filter.

"No" I froze as Bryce growled, and immediately pulled me back against his chest. "I like you too. A lot."

Oh...

As if Bryce had read my mind, he pulled back to look at me and repeated, softly, "I like you a lot."

I smiled and hooking my arms around his neck pulled him down, smashing his lips with mine for a peck before breaking the kiss. I giggled at his slight pout. "Good, You better!"

Now all I have to do is find out what you're hiding Bryce...

***

Flipping the page of the book that lay open on my lap, I leaned into the trunk of the fairly large tree and bit onto an apple.

The day was a dull one, and unlike the others I absolutely loved this weather. Maybe that was why I was currently leaning against fairly large maple tree, away from the rest of the bustling students.