Hunter shrugged. "You can ask him. He's waiting out on the main road. We didn't want to trip whatever John had set up around the place."

"You brought him here?!" Avery's voice was shrill, even in my ears.

I was outside and down the steps before I realized it.

"Ezra! Wait!"

Avery's voice caught my attention as her hand grabbed my arm and forced me to stop. "We can't just rush out there. What if it's a trap?"

Hunter's instant expression of disbelief and hurt at Avery's words gave me a slight comfort, but Avery was right, what if it were some sort of trick? What if this witch was using Hunter to get at us? Hunter had been adopted, though. Had his parents known what he was?

"Stand back." Inwardly, I reached for my power. I was going to speak with that witch, but I could be smarter going about it. "Vershala tulian das lo berruas. Kalha vas notha rak!"

Hunter gasped as the summoning circle appeared on the grass before us, the violent red glow pulsing along with the beat of my heart.

"Kastem!"

The circle shrank in on itself to a pinpoint and exploded outwards in a flash of light revealing the demon in its place. Kastem shook himself, much like a dog would. It's dark fur and multiple tails shifting as he snorted.

"Did you just summon a pokemon?" Hunter asked.

I shot him a hard look and then started for the driveway, mentally calling Kastem to heel.

"Seriously," Hunter continued in a softer tone, following behind us. "It looks like someone crossed a Growlithe and a Volpex."

"What the hell is a 'pokemon'?" Avery asked him.

At the end of the driveway, across the road, a man leaned against the passenger door of a green Prius. He was tall, his nearly black hair dusted with grey around his temples. He pushed away from the car as we approached him, his eyes widening, but didn't make a move to come closer.

Hunter was right. His father's power was exactly like John's.

Kastem grew more agitated the closer we got and I tightened my mental hold on the demon. The last thing I wanted was for Kastem to take him down before I'd had a chance to speak with him.

We passed the edge of the wards John had cast around the property and stopped. They were great at keeping the house hidden and would alert me if a witch other than John crossed the threshold, but there wasn't much they'd do against a physical attack.

"Dad," Hunter said. "This is Ezra and Avery."

"Call me Cameron," he said, eyeing Kastem with wearily.

An awkward silence stretched out between us.

"How?" I finally asked, shortly. "How did you end up with Hunter?"

Cameron stiffened, glancing away. At first, I thought he wasn't going to answer, but then he focused on me and started to speak.

"When my wife and I went through the process to adopt, Hunter was one of the first children we were matched with. He was two at the time, and for one reason or another, the previous attempts to place him with a family had fallen through. It was when we met him the first time that I noticed his last name, and when the social worker had told me what had happened to his parents..."

Cameron closed his eye and shuddered. "I'd been out of the Coven for a long while by that point, but I'll never forget or forgive the atrocities that the Coven has committed. I knew it was only a matter of time before he would be found by one of them, or he'd develop powers and draw unwanted attention." He paused, running a hand through his hair as he looked over at Hunter.