Screaming Sirens

Começar do início

"An ambulance?" she glanced at me with those big, shining eyes. I couldn't lie to her, instead I didn't say anything. "No, Derek, please," she whispered, fresh tears sliding free.

All I could do was squeeze her hand. "I'll be with you the whole time," I promised. "I'm not leaving, okay?"

She sobbed aloud, the fear behind it ripping frozen claws through my chest. "Please, I don't want to go."

"I know," I whispered, letting her rest her head on my shoulder. "It's gonna be okay. They'll help you. Your dad will meet us there."

"I don't want to go," Lillian repeated, her body shaking with sobs. "I can't go."

Through the last minutes, I barely paused to wonder why she was so adversed to going to the hospital. A house of healing, of all places. Where her dad worked. I knew now wasn't the time to ask.

"Lillian, I need you to come with me. You need help. You can't die on me," I pleaded.

"I don't want to die," she whispered, her voice barely audible. Her weakening heartbeat seemed almost the same volume.

"You won't, you just have to come to the hospital," I insisted, sliding my thumb in circles on her wrist. "I can't take care of you out here."

"Derek, I—" she started, but was cut off by a garbled cough, and leaned to the side, spewing blood again. My stomach coated with ice as I registered a considerably larger amount of blood pour from her lips. I rubbed her back, keeping her hair away from the liquid.

"You're okay," I soothed, letting her finish before taking her hand again. Her back thumped against the post and she heaved a wet gasp.

I didn't this either of us believed me when I said she was okay. She was in the most un-okay condition of anyone I'd seen in a while. I knew enough about first aid to know how bad it was if someone was coughing blood.

"It hurts," she said softly, squeezing my hand faintly, a ghost of a touch.

"I know," I whispered, steeling myself before visualising sucking the pain out of her veins. I didn't need to look down to know the veins in my hands had turned dark, leeching the pain from her body. I prayed she didn't look down or notice.

Lil sighed softly as some of the pain left, and I smiled slightly despite the horrible situation.

"Help will be here soon," I murmured as she leaned against me, staining my shirt with tears.

*

I heard the sharp shrieks of the ambulance streaking down the road long before it was audible to Lillian. I held her as tightly as I could without hurting her as the she heard the sirens.

"No, Derek—" she begged, thrashing to escape my grip. "No, please, I don't want to go—"

"Lil, everything's going to be fine. You need help and they're coming to help you," I stroked her hair, racking my brain for any good or logical reason to so desperately not want to go to the hospital and get help, especially when vomiting blood. "I'm here, okay? I'll stay with you the whole time."

Her terrified gaze met mine and her following whimper knocked the air out of me. "Derek, I don't want to die."

I leaned closer, wrapping my arm around her and looking her in the eyes. "They're coming to help you, love. Don't worry—"

Moments later the ambulance pulled up next to us, and Lil shut her eyes, tears still dropping off her lashes. The paramedics made quick work of finding us, there were two of them. I hardly marked what they looked like beyond one was a guy and one a girl. The guy introduced himself as Ben, and the girl called herself Bethany.

"She was crushed by her horse," I explained, meeting Ben's electric blue gaze while Bethany brought out a gurney. "And she really don't want to go, you might have to sedate her—"

"Alright," he responded quietly, taking Lillian's wrist to check her pulse. "I'm just checking your pulse, okay?"

Lillian nodded feebley. "Please don't take me to the hospital."

Ben glanced at me. "Well, we're just going to get you in the ambulance first. Your dad's meeting us there."

More tears slid down Lil's still-paling face, but she swallowed and said nothing.

Even as Ben helped her up and onto the gurney which he and Bethany deposited in the back of the ambulance with ease. Just as Lillian made to cough again, Ben immediately found her a container for the blood. He murmured calming words in her ear as I climbed into the vehicle with them and shut the doors.

Then all I could hear was Ben's clear voice, Lillian's frantic heartbeat and the screaming sirens.