KYTE (Iselen P.O.V)

Start from the beginning

- I'm sure she'll be here soon, even if her human pet means nothing to her Ruby hates when people touch her things – the tip of a boot presses against my ribs and then kicks me slightly, I can't help letting out a stifled moan.

- If you know that I hate when people touch my things, why did you take my pet?

The voice of my Sorceress echoes through the cave bringing tears of joy to my eyes. I was about to ruin my cover-up screaming her name but I control myself at the last second. Wait a minute... has she called me 'pet'? What the hell...? With my eyes half-open I can see Kyte slightly sideways to me: she's not that tall but slim, with dark blonde hair and a pretty face but nowhere near as strikingly beautiful. Her lips are pursed in a fake grin taken by surprise by my girl's arrival. She seems about my mother's age, she looks good but it's pretty obvious that she isn't a vampire and she's aging more noticeably every day. To be honest she doesn't impress me much despite being a powerful sorceress, instead she wants to compensate for her lack of charm with fancy clothes, overly embellished with gold thread on a blue velvet background, a very eye-catching dress... but vulgar.

Ruby enters my field of vision while walking towards the table. She doesn't turn to look at me for one moment, she gives the impression that she hasn't even noticed my body lying on the ground. In contrast to her enemy she dresses in black simple clothes but the feline grace of her movements, her perfect standing posture, her impeccable facial structure, her flawless pale skin framing her colourful tattoos, her cocky smirk and her cold eyes, even if they have the colour of precious stones, leave no room for doubt: she's a lethal creature. She exudes power effortlessly, her self-confidence forces everybody to bow their heads as she passes... like the minion behind her has just done right now. Kyte notices it and frowns furiously before ordering him to leave with a wave of her hand. Not matter how much she tries... she will never be like my Sorceress. Ruby's naturally elegant.

- How did you get here without following my trail? – Kyte asks with genuine curiosity, envy is perfectly visible in her expression and her clenched fists. It's pretty obvious that she's thirsty for the vampire's power.

- Oh, come on! You can't expect me to reveal my tricks so easily. I like this cave, very big and comfortable although a bit cold. I didn't know that you had a den so close to Kerys. You look good my dear mentor, fantastic to be honest, despite the fact that it's been years since the last time we met – Ruby's smile is lovely but absolutely fake.

- Yes, I know I look good, above all because I'm almost a hundred years old – Well, she certainly is older than my mother... and my grandmother – Magic is a great help, obviously, but you know that staying this young entails certain sacrifices.

- Human sacrifices of girls under the age of 10 to use their blood in the potion, as far as I know – I try to control my nausea when I hear that. Under Ruby's neutral tone of voice a very deep feeling of disgust is hidden, I know her well, she's always bragging about losing her ethical compass but she never, ever would hurt a kid.

- Yes, well... one needs to do what one can to stay this beautiful. However, you don't have to stoop to that – So that's what she wants... she wants Ruby to give her the 'gift,' I don't know how she's going to force her to do that.

- Whatever Kyte... I want to know why you touch my things knowing that I don't like it.

- Are you talking about your pet? – She points at me, probably trying to force Ruby to notice that I'm here lying on the ground, but she loses her time. The Sorceress keeps her eyes fixed on her enemy ignoring me, like she doesn't even care about me – I'm sorry, I think I've damaged your property since that ankle seems crooked in a strange angle, doesn't it? It's most likely broken. I just wanted to get your attention so we could have a talk, you know, like in the old days... before you killed my son.