01. Chapter One

Just so everyone knows:
Alex and Mike are 14, turning 15.

Alex's POV

It was late at night and I sat on my bed and watched some Michael Jordan in my room. Justin came into the room and said that dinner was ready. He left as I stood up from the bed, turned off the TV and walked down to the kitchen.

When I came down to the kitchen, Ron sat with his mug, Justin was poking his food that mom had put on his plate and my mom was eating her food. I sat down next to Justin and I ate the disgusting food my mom had made.

"How can you eat that?" Justin asked me with a disgusted look.

"Just think of waffles and rainbows", I smiled and shoved another bite of the food into my mouth.

Yuck!

"Hey, boys", my mom said. Justin and I looked at her. My mom looked at Ron for a second then back to us. "We have an announcement to make".

She made a pause until continuing.

"We are moving!" 

"What!?" Justin and I said at the same time.

"Where?" Justin asked.

"To Hawkins, Indiana", Ron said.

"What? Mom!" I winced as I looked at my mom.

"It's true", she said.

"When are we leaving?" Justin asked.

"Tomorrow", Ron said as he took a sip from his mug.

"Tomorrow?!" Justin and I said at the same time.

"But what about my popularity?" Justin said.

Oh god. I thought as I rolled my eyes.

"I can't be known as 'The new kid' in a new school, that'll be super weird for my image", Justin continued.

"Alex is also going to be known as 'The new kid' and I think you'll get to know a lot of other people", my mom said.

"Why do we have to move?" Justin asked.

"I've got a job in Hawkins", Ron said.

"I thought you liked being a pilot?" I said. I was kind of getting annoyed.

"Yeah, but they said I was getting kind of old so they thought a police officer would be better for me. But, they said that they didn't want me to work here so, they sent me to Indiana", Ron said.

"You are literally one year older than you were last year!" I practically yelled as I stood up, my chair fell to the floor. "And, my mom and I literally moved here last year! So we are moving again? But this time, it's to... freaking Indiana?"

"Alex, calm down", my mom said. "Have you forgot about your--"

"Well, mom, I don't really care about that right now", I said. "The thing I care about is that we are moving to Indiana when we basically moved last year. What if you just have the job in one year, then what? We move again, huh? Is that really how our life is going to be? Moving, moving, moving!"

"Alex, remember your--"

"Mom! Like I said, I don't care about that right now! I can yell how much I want! And you know that that isn't that serious! But what I'm saying is, that you totally forget about Justin and I! We have friends here, I moved away from my friends in Chicago and now I'm moving away from my friends here to go to some freaking old town and be the new kid again? I'm sorry mom but no!"

And with that, I ran away from the kitchen, up the stairs and into my room. I heard my mom yell my name downstairs.

I started to cough really bad. I tried not to cough but it didn't help.

"Stupid asthma", I mumbled as I looked through my drawers to find my inhaler. I haven't used it in a long while.

I found it and put the inhaler to my lips and pulled the trigger. My coughing stopped and I stopped breathing fast.

"Long time since you used that inhaler, huh?" a voice said behind me. I looked at the person and saw that it was only my mom.

I laid the inhaler in my drawer and hopped onto my bed. My mom sat down beside me.

"I know it's hard, Alex", my mom said softly. "But, we don't have a choice".

"Why can't just Justin and Ron go to Hawkins? I mean, you haven't got fired too, have you?" I laughed.

My mom bit his lip.

"You-you're kidding right?" I said, my smile turned into a frown.

"I have requested to work in Hawkins too", my mom said. "It was a woman called Joyce Byers I am going to work at".

"I can't believe this", I said as I buried my face in my hands.

"Don't worry, Alex", my mom said as she rubbed my arm. "I heard Joyce has two sons, one about your age. I think you two can get along".

"But what if we don't? What if there are bullies in the school? What if I'm going to be the guy who sits on the floor in the cafeteria again? What if I never get any real friends if I'm moving again? What if people are going to make fun of me because I have asthma? What if... people think I'm weird? "

"Alex, no one is going to think you're weird", my mom said softly. "Especially not that you have asthma, and as you said, it's not that serious. But we'll get through this together like we always have".

"Thanks, mom", I smiled.

"Anytime", my mom said as she hugged me. "And you need to pack your things", my mom released me from the hug.

"Got it", I chuckled.

My mom stood up and left the room. I looked around my room. My room was full of a lot of basketball stuff.

Better get starting, I thought.

Hi everyone! I hope you all enjoyed reading the first chapter! I think it's pretty crappy but oh well. I will post the next chapter tomorrow so be....................... REDDIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol