"Alannah, why did you leave?" Legolas's voice spoke aloud in her head. Alannah stumbled as she ran, startled by the sudden intrusion. "Alannah." He persisted, his voice firm. She stood still as she heard him say her name and suddenly realized how little he had ever actually said it. Alannah longed to be near him and almost regretted leaving, but knew she had to at least try to get help from King Theodon. Alannah closed her eyes and thought of Legolas, willing he would hear her words.

"I have to try to do something to help the little ones. I'm sorry. When I know Merry and Pippin are safe I promise to find you." Alannah felt foolish as she stood in the middle of nowhere trying to communicate with Legolas miles away. The moon was the only light she had to guide her way as she began to walk again towards Edoras, expecting to arrive in a few short hours if she didn't slow her pace.

"It was foolish, Alannah!" Legolas's voice boomed in her head. "Have we not lost enough thus far and you're willing to meet the same fate yourself?" Alannah felt the heat rise in her chest as he spoke. It took her a few minutes to respond as she choked back the tears that threatened to spill onto her cheeks.

"I have to do this, Legolas. I am no fool.." She was interrupted as a stampede of horses surrounded her while a man grabbed her by her waist and pulled her onto his horse. She fought against her captor with all her strength only for him to hold her tighter.

"It's been years since I've seen you Alannah. It is not safe out here." The man's voice was familiar, one she had not heard since she was last in Rohan. She managed to look behind her to see Eomir as the mysterious captor that scooped her up.

"Eomir!" Alannah exclaimed as she glanced at the Rohirrim that also surrounded her. "I need help. My friends, they are in danger." Eomir ignored her as he led the charge in the direction of Edoras, her voice drowned out by the thunderous stampede of hooves in the earth.  They rode for a couple hours through the Riddermark, all while Alannah continued to try and speak to Legolas in her mind.

"Legolas, I'm with friends in Rohan. I will get help. Don't be angry with me." She waited for a response from him, even an angry one, but only heard her own thoughts rattling inside her head. "Meleth nin?" She urged, visualizing her words reaching his ears. She gulped, realizing that for one reason or another that there was no longer communication between them. The sharp words he had spoken to her the last time they were together replayed over in her head as she gulped, reaching out once more to him.

"Or is it mellon nin?" She asked, her heart sinking at the realization that Legolas himself may have pulled his heart away from her.

~

Dawn would not come for a couple more hours when Eomir motioned for the Rohirrim to stop about a mile from Edoras. He quickly helped Alannah from their horse and motioned towards the direction she would need to take.

"Be not seen by anyone. My uncle is not well, and Grima, is under Saruman's command, not Theoden's. Go to Eowyn's chambers, she will help you find a bed. I must go now." Eomir charged the riders of Rohan into the darkness, leaving Alannah with more questions than answers and unable to plead for his help. Alannah took a deep breath, pushing Legolas from her mind as she began to run once more.

Finally, she peered up the hill at the home of King Theoden, a place she had always been welcome to and questioned why she would need to hide herself. Alannah quietly scaled the gate of the city and utilized the darkness to enter the palace and locate Eowyn's chambers. The interior of the palace had changed drastically from what she remembered. Its great golden halls were once warm and inviting but now it was looming with a darkness of a threat that she could not see, but instead could feel heavy in her spirit. Alannah moved silently through the halls until she reached Eowyn's bed chamber, tapping the door so lightly she was sure her old friend would not hear it.