A Rude Awakening

Okay, the story is a bit cliche in the beginning, but I promise it strays to the wonderful world of originality.

*****

*****

"Happy 18th birthday my little love muffin!" Those are the first words out of my mom's mouth as she barges into my room. She walks up next to my bed, but when she sees me still sprawled out on my bed in my black tank and snoopy pajama bottoms she stops dead in her tracks. "Maybelle! What are you doing, you have to get up!" She cries planting her hands on her hips.

I groan loudly and roll away from her, pulling the covers over my head. "Leave me alone, it's too early." I moan trying to make my voice as whiny as possible.

She growls at my stubbornness, but I stand firm, metaphorically speaking of course since I'm technically lying down. I hear my mom sigh in defeat and I grin victoriously. That is until she yanked open my curtains. I squeeze my eyes shut. Ah the sun! It burns!

"Come now." She says, her voice stern. "Today is a very important day, it's not early, and I know you're not tired because you're awake at the crack of dawn every other day." I groan.

Stupid motherly instincts. She can always see through me no matter how hard I try. I bail on my tired bit and decide to go at it from a different approach.

I sit straight up, giving mom the best puppy dog look I have

"Mommy?" She freezes, knowing no good comes out of that word. Slowly, she looks over her shoulder at me with a suspicious glare.

It takes everything in me not to smirk at her wariness. "Do I have to go to school?" I continue, pouting a little for effect.

She cocks her head to the side in surprise, her auburn curls swinging from the motion. "Why would you not want to go? Today is the day you find your mate."

'Duh, that's why I don't want to go.' I think biting back my retort.

"We don't know that for sure. I mean not all werewolves find their mates at eighteen." I say in protest. 'That and I don't want a mate.'

I can't deal with all of that. Being tied to somebody for the rest of my life; having to feel their pain, never leaving their side, and becoming so close that my life is practically theirs to do what they want with? It gives me chills. Uh-uh, no way no how. I want to be free, I go wherever I want, whenever I want. I'll find love when I'm good and damn ready thank you very much.

However, my reasoning seems to be lost on her as she gives me a wry smile. "Honey," She sits down next to me and I grimace. Oh god, I have a bad feeling about this. "I know right now thinking about finding your mate is hard and scary, but I promise you, finding your father was the best thing that ever happened to me." She takes my hand in her own and gives it a light squeeze.

I look up at her from the corner of my eye and see a gentle smile creep onto her face as she relives her glory days. Her deep honey colored eyes gaze ahead, lost in thought. I can tell if I continue to push the matter one of two things will happen.