The Quest: Chapter 7

Start from the beginning

"Mae govannon, Legolas Thranduilion." Haldir spoke as he welcomed the fellow elf. Legolas held a noble and humble posture as he began to speak.

"Govannas vin gwennen le, Haldir o Lorien." Legolas responded. Alannah watched the two curiously as they conversed. Haldir turned to Aragorn, also seemingly familiar with him.

"Aragorn of the Dunedain, istannen le ammen." Haldir welcomed as Aragorn nodded his head.

Gimli was beginning to grow frustrated, unable to understand what was being spoken between them and made it known. Aragorn scolded him, aware that they were at the mercy of Lorien to give them some type of sanctuary wherethey can rest before continuing their travels. Haldir finally turned his attention to Frodo.

"You have brought great evil with you." He stated grimly. "You can go no further."

The fellowship turned to look at Frodo with desperation and pity. Aragorn ordered everyone to stand aside and be quiet as he began to debate with Haldir, presenting his argument and hoping to persuade him to change his mind. Alannah sat off to the side by herself, carefully adjusting the makeshift splint on her broken arm. Legolas stood a few feet away, desperate to reach out to her. He finally settled on moving to stand next to her, satisfied that even though she did not acknowledge him, that he didn't feel the same capacity of anger that she seemed to carry earlier. Boromir had been watching the pair on their way to Lothlorien, the trouble between them obvious and after comforting Frodo, he brazenly came to sit next to Alannah.

She looked at Boromir and back down to her arm as he began to carefully adjust the splints. He nursed her as tenderly as he did her hands beside the river when they travelled to Rivendell together. Legolas could see the pettiness that Boromir had stooped to even though Alannah did not and stepped away from them, annoyed by the sight. He grew agitated as he watched him hold Alannah's hand in his lap as he inspected the damage while thinking of the way she began ignoring and distancing herself from him. Just hours ago she was pulling him to the mine, practically begging him to make love to her and now she wouldn't even look at him.

Legolas almost immediately regretted his frustration with her as she shook her head and scoot her body further away from Boromir. Her head hung, the sounds of soft crying emitting from where she sat. The moon lit the night sky bathing her in a hue of blue, the color of the devastated emotions she was feeling. Boromir also lowered his head, unable to bring himself to console her. Legolas began to walk towards her when Haldir directed for the fellowship to follow him to Caras Galadhon, the elven kingdom ruled by Celeborn and Galadriel, Lady of Light.

The elven realm was nothing like Alannah had ever seen before. The majesty of Rivendell almost paled in comparison to the ethereal qualities it possessed. She was so captivated that at first she didn't even notice that Legolas had taken the chance to walk beside her with his arm her around and his hand resting on her lower back. She looked up at him and softly smiled, feeling guilty for projecting her anger and sorrow onto him. Legolas only nodded slightly as they began to walk up the stairs high into a massive tree to meet with the rulers that had granted them asylum.

When Galadriel and Celeborn descended from their quarters in front of the fellowship, they all stood in collective awe. Literal light seemed to radiate out of her as if she were a glowing star. She spoke to the group and learned of Gandalf's demise and appearing equally as saddened by the circumstances as they were. She invited them to rest and sleep amongst the trees yet carefully looked at Alannah as she spoke. Legolas began to pull Alannah in the direction the other elves were leading them to rest when they both paused in their steps, hearing Galadriel's voice in both of their heads.

"I need to speak with her, dear Legolas. She will rejoin you soon. Alannah, walk with me, sweet child. We must speak." The voice rang in their heads, yet as they watched Galadriel, her mouth did not move. Alannah gulped as she felt Legolas releasing his hand from her and allowed her to walk towards the lady of light.