40 Clint

Natasha stood outside of Bucky’s room to make the call to Tony. She noticed police officers, two of them, going up and down the hall with their hands in their pockets and felt suspicious. They hadn’t been there before. One of them caught her eye and tipped his hat. She glanced back behind her at Bucky’s door, through the window where he was sitting on his bed, staring at the ceiling in thought, and back to the police officer. They were there for Bucky, she realized, after his explosive outburst. She felt a level of defensiveness about the situation, but she couldn’t argue that Bucky could be dangerous. He didn’t mean to be, but it was hard not to expect him to lash out when he was caught between Hydra nightmares and reality. And besides, if Hydra came for him now, maybe the officers would do their share of protecting him while they protected others from him. It wasn’t an all bad situation. Still, Natasha leaned against Bucky’s door herself, hoping her body language would send a clear message. You may be wary of him, but I’m going to stand beside him no matter what. Don’t come near him unless you want to go through me.

Natasha first dialed Tony.

“Hello, yes, this is Tony Stark,” Tony answered.

“Tony, we’ve got a problem,” Natasha said.

“Oh, hey Natasha,” Tony said. “Is it about Bucky? What did he do to his arm now?”

“He got it stolen,” Natasha replied and there was a moment of quiet while Tony registered this.

“No way. How does he even do that?” Tony replied.

“He was attacked,” Natasha said and she began pacing in front of Bucky’s door. “How much would it cost to build him a replacement, something impermanent? You’re sort of our only option.”

“Good to know I have a monopoly on robot arms,” Tony said.

“Well, you and Hydra. But that’s beside the point, you didn’t answer my question,” Natasha said. She waited in silence while Tony let out a breath. Already, she could hear him refusing her and her heart sank. No, Tony, please.

“You caught me at a bad time,” Tony said. “I’m really swamped. Like, really swamped. I couldn’t even start putting thought into an arm until… I dunno, a month from now? Two months?” Natasha bit her lip and pushed her hair back.

“What about Bruce?” She said.

“Uh, he’s a nuclear physicist, not a roboticist, and he’s helping me. Say hi, Bruce.”

“Hi Bruce.”

“That was Bruce,” Tony said.

“Thor’s girlfriend?” Natasha tried again, feeling desperate.

“Her name is Jane Foster. And she’s an astrophysicist,” Tony said. “Look, tell Bucky we’ll try to pull something together for him when we’re done here, okay?” Natasha was quiet. “Natasha? Are you there?”

“Yeah, I’m here,” she said.

“I’m sorry, but…,” Tony stopped and Natasha could practically see his frown.

“No, I know, I understand,” she said. “He’s, uh, he’s actually pretty good with just one arm, you’d be surprised.”

“No, we have faith in him, I bet he’s great,” Tony said. There was mumbling, presumably Bruce, and Tony laughed. “Yeah, yeah, I know, right?” Tony said, not to Natasha.

“I’ll let you go now,” Natasha said and Tony stopped her quickly.

“Have you considered any sort of regular prosthesis?” He asked. “That might make a good replacement for a while.”

“We’ll have to consider it,” Natasha replied, not yet wanting to admit just how good of an idea that was, and Tony said okay and goodbye and she hung up, angry and disappointed. She didn’t know how she was going to tell Bucky, or Steve.

The next call Natasha made was to Fury. Of course, he didn’t answer, but she left a message on his machine and prayed he’d listen to it.

“Fury, get back to me soon, okay?” Natasha said. “Bucky and I haven’t been able to get anywhere with our mission, there have been a lot of setbacks. We’re in the hospital right now. But we’re going to get on it as soon as Bucky is better, okay? Please answer. Bye.”

The third call Natasha made was to Clint Barton.

“Hey Natasha!” Clint answered cheerfully. “What’s up?”

“I’m in the hospital,” Natasha said. “Bucky got hurt.”

“I heard,” Clint replied, his voice going grim. “The chase was all over the newspapers. Is he okay?”

“He lost an arm,” Natasha said.

“Again?” Clint said, astonished and Natasha couldn’t help but chuckle a little.

“Yeah. And I can’t find anyone to make him a replacement. And I’m just really stressed out. Can we talk?” Natasha asked.

“Of course!” Clint replied and he sounded as though he was eating something. “Just here, or do you want to come over?” Natasha looked around the hospital and although she didn’t want to leave Bucky, especially not with those security guards who would probably rather put a bullet in his head versus holding him and calming him if he panicked. And she knew he was prone to panicking. But she needed to vent.

“I’ll be over in a second,” Natasha said, relieved that Clint had asked. She side-eyed the security guards. “But I can’t stay long.” Steve was here, and his leg was getting better. He would help Bucky if she was gone for thirty minutes.

“That’s fine,” Clint said. “I just ordered pizza, we can have lunch.”

“Thank you, Clint,” Natasha said and she could practically see him smile.

“No prob, Nat. Don’t mention it,” he said and they hung up. Natasha glanced back at Bucky again one more time-he had his eyes closed now, he looked peaceful-and she ran out of the hospital to catch a cab to Clint’s apartment.