Chapter 1

"JOSIE JAYNES! You'll never believe what just happened" my best friend Piper says to me, fuming.

"What?" I ask as I stuff my books into my locker.  They say junior year is the hardest year of them all, and I can tell you first hand it's true.  I still have all my SAT books in my overstuffed locker to remind me all the nights I didn't catch any sleep.

"Ms.Greene is making us write a letter for the One Direction contest as an end of the year assignment!  She says it's going to be fun.  Can you believe it?" Piper rambles on and on about how this was the dumbest assignment ever.

This year, the One Direction management had chosen our city of Los Angeles, California to participate in the Letter Contest.  Every citizen of Los Angeles can participate in writing a letter about how much they love One Direction and then the boys themselves would read the letters and choose the one that was their favorite.  The author of that letter got to go on a year long tour with them around the world.  Exciting right?  Not.

Piper and I weren't exactly One Direction fans.  People obsessed over them way too much, I mean they were just 5 regular guys!  Plus they were really obnoxious according to some things that I'd heard.  Like the fact that one of them carries a mirror in their pocket, how vain is that?  They think that every girl in the world adores them but Piper and I have made a pact to never get close to or interact with this "One Direction Infection".  Piper said that we had gotten 'vaccines' so we couldn't become infected.

I sigh to interupt Piper's rant.  "Well, at least it's an easy assignment for a final.  I don't really want to stress anymore.  Besides, the guys writing will be more horrified than we are" I said giggling at the thought of guys writing about how much they love One Direction.  

Ring Ring Ring

"That's the bell, better get going before we get a detention" I said waving goodbye to Piper.

"Goodluck on the essay" she said smirking.

I walked into Ms. Greene's room.  She was a young preppy teacher and I liked her, I really did.  She just had a bit of an obsession for One Direction which made it no surprise that she was making all of her students write letters for the contest.

"Class, this is your final essay" she said, handing out the letter forms for the contest, "as long as you write something that makes sense, you're going to get a 100" she said laughing.

I stared at my letter form for a long time.  Should I make up stuff and pretend I like them or spill my guts about how I hate their guts?  I chose the latter, as Piper would be proud of me for doing.  Ms. Greene never said we had to like them, besides, she loved me, I'm sure I'll pass with flying colors no matter what I wrote.

Dear One Direction,

Just so you know, I do NOT have your stupid infection.  In fact, I have gotten vaccines for it.  Anyways, I'm NOT a hater either, I just don''t think you guys are all too great.  You may be a world phenomenon but you'll never win me over.  I'll never touch anything that you guys have contaminated.  And I bet you're wondering why I'm writing this letter then.  It's because my teacher made me as an assignment.  Anyways, I hope you have fun on your world tour, but trust me, I'm not going to be attending any of your concerts.  EVER.  And, to break down your big ass egos a little bit more, I'm going to say that I've never thought any of you were hot.  Okay, sorry, if I hurt any of your feelings or somehting, I'm not a hater, really.  Just not your fan.  I'm actually really nice, but whatever.

I stared at my paper.  I didn't actually know what One Direction looked like, I just wanted to say something to cut down their huge egos.  Okay fine, maybe I was being a bit harsh in my letter considering I don't even know if they have huge egos... and I can't believe I used profanity!  I'd erase it but I wrote in ink.  Oops.  Oh well, this is how I felt, not my problem anymore.

I met Piper for lunch and we sat alone, as usual.  After school ended, we walked home together, dodging the other kids and parents on the street.  Today, neither of us said a word as we made our way to the woods in Piper's backyard.  

We both kneeled before a tree, with the initials 'LT' carved onto the tree.  We both bowed our heads, placing flowers and a huge chocolate chunk cookie at the base of the tree.  Lance always loved cookies.  I could feel the tears in my eyes as Piper and I whispered prayers for Lance on this day.  The same day when he was kidnapped 7 years ago.  We never knew why people were after us, all we knew was that we had to avoid everybody at all costs because no place in this world was safe.

"Lance, if you're still out there, I promise that one day, we will reunite" I whispered.

Harry's POV

*One Month Later*

-At One Direction's Management Office-

"Come one guys, this is the last letter we have to read before deciding who comes on tour with us!" Liam encouraged.

This whole Letter Contest thing was fun but when you had to read thousands of letters it became a drag.  Most of them held the same contents anyway: "OMG I love you guys"  "You changed my life!"  "Pick me, pick me, pick me!" 

I sighed as we all gathered around Liam to read the last letter.  It was from Josie Jaynes.

"...I'm actually really nice, but whatever" 

The boys and I looked at each other after finishing the letter.  It sure stood out.  And man was this girl feisty.

"I like her, let's take her and convert her into a directioner!" Zayn suggested.  

"Yeah and we can become besties!" Louis said staring dreamily into space.

"I don't know guys, she isn't even a fan" Liam said, "Maybe we should take a different girl...".

"Yeah, wouldn't it be more fair to choose someone who likes us?" I added.  This girl sounds interesting, but it doesn't sound like she'll be too happy going on tour with us.

"Niall, you're the deciding vote!  Make a choice" Louis demanded.

Niall sat there thinking hard.  He looked at all of us, still thinking.  He stared at his sandwich, still thinking.  He chewed on his sandwich, still thinking.  Finally, he cleared his throat.  And let out a loud burp.  He then proceeded to think some more.

"It's a yes or no question man!  Pick one!" Zayn said finally losing it.

"Actually, I'll be making that choice."

We all looked up to see Simon walk into the room, with a phone in hand.  Liam and I smirked at each other.  We knew Simon would agree with us on this matter.

"Josie will be joining you boys on tour." 

"Say what?" Liam and I shouted.  

Louis and Zayn laughed with each other, doing a high-five.  Niall sat there eating his sandwich.

"But...why?" Liam asked.  

"That Liam, I cannot tell you".  And with that, Simon walked out of the room.

He was keeping something from us.  But what?