05. Frollo

Vanessa was late getting to the church, therefore late for the class. Showing up with muddy shoes didn't help.

Instead of attending the remaining class, Frollo had instructed her to wait in the back so afterword, she could catch up.

She sat at the table, awaiting Master Frollo's further instruction. The other students had left for lunch.

The quite ate at her, until a creeking door awoke her ears.

"Master Frollo?" She asked confused. The door that was opening, he had said didn't lead to anything important. And wasn't in working order.

"I am sorry" came a small voice.

"Hello?" She asked, getting up.

Walking toward the door, seemed to make the man behind it nervous still.

"No" he shot back at her. "You mustn't. My master says my appearance is that of sin. And no one can behold it."

"Your master sounds like a self-serving pig" said Vanessa.

"Don't let him hear you say that" he pleaded her.

"Why?" she asked. "What would he do?"

"What can't he do?" Said the little man.

"He wouldn't dare" she said, somewhat proud. "What with who my father is"

"I could for who your father is" came the master's voice from behind her. "And I would"

"Why must you scare him so?" Vanessa asked, as the small man fled up a flight of stairs.

"That thing is not a him" he told her. "It is sin"

"Has the devil himself shown through him?" Vanessa patronized him.

"You saw it" Frollo bellowed.

"Honestly?" She stated, more so than asked. "No, I didn't get a good look at him"

"Have you lost your faith?" He asked, flabbergasted.

"No" she said. "My faith is great in God, and man. You sir, are exhibiting traits of neither"

When his hand met Vanessa's cheek, something steered within her.

"Perhaps now you'll learn to treat your master with respect" he spat at her.

"I hold no respect for someone who treats another man so" she spat back. "Nor is it so easily bought"

This time, Vanessa did spit at the religious leader.

"You faithless shrew" he bellowed at her, knocking Vanessa from her footing.

Hitting the table, she fell to the floor. As if she were to get sick, her body began to reject the breakfast.

"Regurgitate if you must" he said, as her body began to shake. "But do clean it up, when you're done"

Not a moment before loosing consciousness, Vanessa heard a faint growl and a scream from Frollo.