𝟭𝟭. 𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗼 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝗰𝗸 𝗼𝗳 𝗶𝘁

Start from the beginning

"I always thought Father might be the one who got rid of Dumbledore," he said, not troubling to keep his voice down. "I told you he thinks Dumbledore's the worst headmaster the school's ever had. Maybe we'll get a decent headmaster now. Someone who won't want the Chamber of Secrets closed. McGonagall won't last long, she's only filling in..."

"Draco, just stop it, please..." whispered Daisy Morgenstern, sitting at the table beside of his, just across the aisle, beside Daphne Greengrass.

Draco smirked, "Why, so Potter won't hear me and burst into tears?" he asked, making those sitting at his table laugh. "Shame he won't be the poster child anymore, will he?"

Snape swept past their row, making no comment about what was being said.

"Sir," said Malfoy loudly. "Sir, why don't you apply for the headmaster's job?"

Matilda didn't try to hide the scoff that came out of her mouth at that question. He'd been trying for the Defense Against the Dark Arts position for years now and couldn't even get that. And suddenly he's Head Master material?

"Now, now, Malfoy," said Snape, though he couldn't suppress a thin-lipped smile. "Professor Dumbledore has only been suspended by the governors. I daresay he'll be back with us soon enough."

"Yeah, right," said Malfoy, smirking. "I expect you'd have Father's vote, sir, if you wanted to apply for the job—I'll tell Father you're the best teacher here, sir—"

Snape smirked as he swept off around the dungeon, fortunately not spotting Seamus Finnigan, who was pretending to vomit into his cauldron.

Matilda didn't like that she was one of the few Ravenclaws in this class. Due to overccrowding in others, she and a few other classmates had been placed here, with Gryffindor and Slytherin. Padma liked it well enough though. At least she got to sit with her sister.

"I'm quite surprised the Mudbloods haven't all packed their bags by now," Malfoy went on. "Bet you five Galleons the next one dies. Pity it wasn't Granger—"

She couldn't take it anymore. She'd bit her tongue long enough now. Matilda slammed her hands down on her table, the smach echoing through the room and the palms of her hands burned. Her eyes blazed in icy anger as she turned to look at Draco Malfoy, now on her feet.

Matilda leaned over his desk, grabbing the collar of his robe and pulling his face close to hers, "If I hear another word come out of your mouth, when people speak the name Draco Malfoy the only thing that they'll be able to think of was how I ripped your greasy head off!"

The bell rang in that moment, which was lucky; Harry and Ron was able to leap off their stools and catch Matilda before she could reach for her wand. They drug her out of the classroom as she continued spitting threats at Draco.

Once in the hall, Matilda shrugged their hands off her, "Should've just let me finish him off," she told them, a slight growl to her voice.

"Trust me, I wanted to," said Ron, shrugging.

"Hurry up, I've got to take you all to Herbology," barked Snape over the class's heads, and off they marched, "Professor Flitwick will be here soon for those going to Charms! Stay put!"

He glared at the group of Ravenclaws as he strode past.

The next time she'd seen Harry and Ron was when it came time for Defense Against the Dark Arts. They sat in the back with closer to her now, leaving the table they'd once shared with Hermione empty at the front of the classroom.

Lockhart bounded into the room and the class stared at him. Every other teacher in the place was looking grimmer than usual, but Lockhart appeared nothing short of buoyant.