five

past

kim taehyung was back.

fluttering his eyes open, the blinding light of the sun immediately greeted his senses. it was when taehyung attempted to shield his face from brightness that he realised he was home, sleeping inside his royal bedroom as he had always been. everything was still the same, with clothes from the days before scattered all over the floor — the late king had taught his children from young ages not to depend on their servants — and handmade lanterns decorating its ceiling, except for one.

"was i dreaming the whole time?" taehyung groaned, careless enough that he didn't notice the queen and his personal eunuch entering the room.

the looks on their faces were of mixed emotions. happy, sad, worried and sympathetic, all combusted into one. it was clear that something transpersonal must have had happened beforehand, which might be related to the reason behind his accidental time-travel. but it seemed like they were trying to hide taehyung from the truth.

"my prince," his mother called, as she sat on his bed and touched his forehead. "how are you feeling, love?"

"i'm not very sure about that . . ."

"yeowool-ah, please bring some food and ask ahro to enter the room," queen jisoo continued, referring on the palace's physician, kim ahro, who was one of taehyung's only best friends along with his eunuch, or as he usually addressed when his mother wasn't around, yeowool-hyung. "we have to make sure that the prince isn't harmed."

readjusting himself to his mother's protectiveness, taehyung only laughed and shook his head. "mother, there's no need for that. i am not harmed-"

"-we have to be sure," she repeated. "you had been unconscious for more than twelve hours, and that was a long period."

"yes, my queen," yeowool obliged and left the room.

all of the memories taehyung created with jungkook last night were still fresh in his mind. they felt too right to be true, too real to be nothing but a dream, and no matter how much taehyung loved living in the palace, the future where his new friend existed didn't seem to be a bad idea either.

but, of course. at the end of the day, since when was he able to travel time? did it really happen, or was it all just a lie?

letting his fingers roam around his broad chest, taehyung almost felt relieved when he noticed the pendant still hanging around his neck . . . well, that, until his mother moved forward and prevented him from touching it.

"m-mother?" taehyung blinked a few times, not understanding what the queen meant by her action.

"give your necklace to me," she demanded, a hint of softness laying behind the strength of her gaze. "i'll keep it safe for the time being."