Chapter 22

A Q U A R I U S

Turning to the Mish I looked at his pink patches that seemed raw and painful.

"You can help him?!"

Said Liam suddenly happy. I nodded my head and turned to Kyle and Vincent.

"Okay Kyle I need you to go to the store and buy a northern red tail snapper."

He quickly nodded and all but ran out the door. Then I turned to my mate and smiled.

"And you get the hard job."

He rolled his eyes but nodded.

"I need you to go down to the beaches where they sell fish, I need you to find a hardheaded catfish. Like a full fish."

I said to him. He nodded and left the room, but not before kissing my forehead.

Liam looked at me and walked over to me.

"What's wrong with him? Why is he so sick?"

He said looking at his mate before grabbing his webbed hand.

"The kelp I tangled them up in is poisonous to their species. You see where his scales are falling off? For merfolk that is a rash, his system is trying to fight off the poison and he was already weak I'm guessing."

I said sighing and shaking my head. I turned to Dr. Heights who had started to read my book again.

"Hey doctor? Can you get us some water, and do you humans use fish oil?"

I asked, he nodded his head and brought back a bucket of water, fish oil, and a bag of.... Epson salt?

He looked at me and smiled.

"I thought since he comes from the ocean, he water need salt in his water."

I beamed at him and accepted his gift. We washed him down and kept him moist while I rubbed fish oil into the wounds he had from where the kelp had him.
*
*
About 45 minutes later both Kyle and Vincent were back with what I requested.

"Perfect!"

I said grabbing them and rushing to the counter. I peeled off the snapper's skin and fat and put it in a bowl, then scrapped the slime off the catfish. I looked up and everyone stared at me in disgust.

"What? I don't stare at you like that when you ripped into poor innocent bunnies!"

At that they quickly looked away. I coated the smaller skin in fat and slime and walked over to the Mish. I took the skin and laid it all over the pink spots.

"He should be up and running in an hour or two. Mishes are quick healers, and this should fight off the poison quickly.

Liam and Kyle beamed and thanked me repeatedly. Dr. Heights left to go check on another patient as we all sat in silence and stared at the sleeping creature.

"I don't understand how a Mish, of all creatures, could be mated to land dwellers. This man was a fish- he belonged in the sea!

Liam sat on the bed just petting the creatures' scaly hand. The room seemed to quiet and tense, so I decided to talk.

"Um... Liam, Kyle?"

I called to them, for once making their attention leave their mate.

"I know you're his mate and all-, but I think it would be best for me to just be in the room and speak to him when he wakes up."

Immediately Liam and Kyle growled and exclaimed no. I sighed and rubbed my face.

"Guys. He is going to be scared and confused. I am sure he has never been on land before or even seen a human! Being around a merman will calm his nerves."

I said making them hesitate but still say no. As I saw the fish squirm I immediately got up and went by the door. I knew what was going to play out.

The Mish groaned and squeaked as he stretched his probably sore muscles out.

"Mate?"

Whimpered Kyle and went to touch the Mish's cheek. Immediately the creature opened his eyes and let out a loud shriek. He shocked and scrambled to get up.

"No! No! We are your mates! Don't be afraid!"

Said Liam more softly.

The creature opened his mouth,

"Where am I?! Who the fuck are you and why am I here!? Bring me home!!!"

The creature trembled and looked at Kyle and Liam who had utter confusion on his face, but then it dawned on me.

They could not understand him.

A mermaid's kiss let you understand our language, not others.

At their loss of attention, the creature bolted to the door and ran, I took no time catching up. I grabbed his shoulder and pulled him to the wall making him scream more and try and claw me.

I pulled him into the nearby empty hospital room.

"I'm not here to hurt you..."

I said rubbing his smooth scaley arms. He whimpered and turned away.

"Then why did you take me from my home? I need to get back there!"

He cried making water come to his eyes and shocking him. After a moment he growled in silence and rubbed his hands down his face.

"Those are your mates out there... they just want you to talk to them."

I said putting my hand on him again. He shook his head, an angry look covering his face.

"Those men? I cannot even understand them!

I chuckled and shook my head.

"That's because you haven't marked them yet. Kiss them and they will understand you."

The Mish just gave me a confused look.

"Why would I lie? I'm just like you- here for my mate."

He stared at me for a second before nodding.

"What are you? You said you were just like me. Are you a Mish!"

He said suddenly turning excited and laughed, I shook my head no.

"I'm a merman! My mate is also a land dweller. No one here is human so you will not have to worry."

He let out a sigh of relief before nodding to the door, which I unlocked to a worried Liam and Kyle.

All looked at me and I stepped out.

"It's okay, just follow us."

He hesitated but stepped out. We started to walk back to the room but stopped when he saw a bunch of people at the end of the hall.

"Hold on..."

He said and closed his eyes. I looked at him in confusion and then gasped. Slowly his scales
disappeared and his skin changed from pink to a light olive. I could feel his mate's confusion.

We all just stood there when he was done. Before our eyes was a beautiful man with dark red hair and green eyes.

"Holy shit..."

Said Liam, which I nodded too.

Holy shit indeed.

EDITED 11/12/20