Chapter 12: Adventures in Burgess

Start from the beginning

"Teasing you is worth my precious time." Jack said cockily. 

You rolled your eyes playfully.

Jack flew around the graveyard. You looked around it to see a garden full of tombstones. Some had fresh flowers or beautiful expensive lanterns beside the grave. Some had green wreaths on the grave. 

You passed through several more tombstones until you saw Jack stopped at a particularly one tombstone. 

This tombstone was different from the rest. It had little frost patterns at the corners. One thing was beside the grave. A simple but pretty square-shaped brown lantern was beside the grave. Words were engraved to the stone 

NAME: JAMIE BENNET

AGE: 57

A SON, BROTHER, FRIEND AND FATHER

Jack walked slowly to Jamie's grave. He had a blue ice rose. He gently placed it on the grave.

"Hey Jamie. How ya doing? I hope you're fine. I'd be lying if I said I was fine." Jack said. 

"I'm sorry for not visiting you for a while." He said sadly.

You saw tears fall from his eyes.

You felt the urge to comfort him. You silently walked to him. You grabbed his cold white hand and gave it a little squeeze. Silence fell upon you both. Until you broke it. 

"Hey Jamie. I'm glad to finally meet you. Jack tells me that you're an adventurous and amazing kid. I bet we would've gotten along great... I'm glad that I rejected the offer when I was chosen as a Guardian a hundred years ago. I really am. You met Jack and became close friends.... I promise to take good care of Jack for you." You said. 

Jack looked at you in shock when he heard the last sentence. You felt him stare at you but you kept your cool and ignored him. You both stayed silent for a few more minutes. Until Jack broke it. 

"Hey, there's still time before midnight, you wanna explore the city?" Jack asked. 

"Um...sure." You said awkwardly.

Jack pulled you closer to his ice cold body. It felt cold but you didn't notice. He sent a smirk at your way and suddenly carried you bridal style. 

You yelped in surprise.

"Hang on..." Jack said as he zipped through the air. 

He zipped around with the cold winter wind blowing on both of your faces. He flew from the street to street playing pranks on some of the townspeople; freezing a girl's tongue to a pole, slipping people carrying groceries, sending a sudden cold breeze towards people and freezing some of the electrical wires. 

It was a fun ride. Jack made some loops and fast moving but he always told you when he would do them. You both flew around until you came to a frozen lake. 

"Here we are." Jack said as he set you down in front of the lake.

The scenery was beautiful. It had trees all around and a beautiful round frozen lake. There were snowdrops on the snowy land. It was extremely cold at night. You looked in awe. 

"Hey," Jack said, you turned around to see him holding up a pair of ice skates, "Do you know how to skate?" 

"Not much. Why?" You said awkwardly.

"Ice skating. Do you wanna learn?" Excitement and happiness filled you that you couldn't contain your smile. You nodded.

A smile appeared on the white-haired boy. He tossed you the skates and you caught them swiftly. You removed your boots and replaced them with the ice skates.