Part 10

Mara's P.O.V

"So let's start with this lover boy of yours. Colby, isn't it? You've been all over the internet and everybody in Kansas is talking about it. Well, that and the fact you're in hospital" Rebecca asked as we walked arm in arm back towards my hospital room.

"Where do I even start with Colby. Lets just say things aren't great between us at the moment. Have you not realised he isn't here"? I replied.

"Actually I did. I just didn't want to say anything. Actually, the first thing I did when I got here was go looking for him to give him the whole 'cliché' don't hurt my best friend talk"

"Well I think its a bit too late for that. Him hurting me has already been and gone" I stared down at my feet.

She must've noticed that I didn't want to talk about it any longer as she stopped talking.

We walked back into the hospital room to find Sam and Elton asleep on the couches, Corey was still awake, playing video games, but then again I didn't expect any different.

I walked over towards him and grabbed the player two controller, "Budge up. I hear video games are better when there are two people playing".

"I suppose I could let you play. But just because you're sick doesn't mean I'm gonna take it easy on you. Don't be too disappointed when I beat you" He laughed, making room for me to sit down next to him.

We played for about 10 minutes until things began to become blurry and my entire body became very weak.

I didn't realise I had dropped the controller until Corey put his hands on both arms, "Mara can you hear me? I need you to say something if you can, okay?"

I tried.

I really did.

But it was like my body was still there, but everything else had gone to a different place.

"Elton! Sam! Get the doctor. Somethings wrong".

I tried to stand and walk, but when I did it only resulted in me falling down.

I kept fighting, doing everything I could to stay awake.

"Its spread and its getting worse. She needs surgery, now. Go and get the other nurses and tell them to prepare the surgery equipment. I need you all to help me get her onto the bed" I could hear the panic in the Doctors voice.

As I was being pushed down the corridor, followed by many doctors with Sam holding my hand, I managed to get out a sentence.

"Sam, I need Colby here. I can't do this without him."

He squeezed my hand even tighter, "He'll be here when you wake up, I promise. Stay strong, okay? We're all going to be waiting for you".

I felt his hand slowly being pulled away from mine as I was taken into the surgery room.

After that moment, everything went dark.

Colby's P.O.V

Whilst shooting the video my phone was ringing non stop, but every time I ignored it.

"Colby what if somethings wrong with Mara? I get you two have argued but this situation is so much more important than that. Swallow your pride for a freaking minute and answer the phone" Brennan snapped, switching off the cameras.

Just as I was about to reply, his phone started ringing.

"Don't answer it" I demanded, knowing it was going to be Sam.

"No, screw that. You can continue being an asshole all you want, but if somethings wrong then I want to know about it" He replied, putting the phone up against his ear.

I could only hear his side of the conversation.

"Is everything okay?" "Yeah he's right here with me" "Oh my god dude I'm so sorry" "We'll be on the first plane back to LA" "Keep me updated and we'll be there as soon as possible"

He put the phone down.

I could feel my heart beating out of my chest, knowing that something had gone wrong.

"Get your shit Colby. We're cancelling this trip a little early. Mara's been taken into surgery and I don't care what you say, you're going to be there when she wakes up and you better start thinking of one hell of an excuse as to why you weren't there for her and just disappeared without an explanation. Now let's go"