Part 5

Mara's P.O.V

I couldn't say anything. My body had gone stiff and it felt as though I was glued to the position, and no matter how hard I tried to speak and to move, no words and no actions happened.

"Colby stay here with Mara. We'll go find Sam and calm him down" Elton said as he and Corey walked out of the hospital room.

We sat in complete silence for what seemed like hours but in reality only a few minutes had passed.

"I guess this is it" I finally managed to compose a sentence.

"Hey don't say that. Sam's upset and confused, he will change his mind" Colby replied, taking my hand into his.

"He's not going to change his mind Colbs. The only time I've ever seen Sam that serious was when I persuaded him he was adopted back in the 7th grade. I'm going back to Kansas. Wanna know something funny? Ever since I've been in LA I've felt as though I wanted nothing more than to go back home. But now its happening, I don't think I'm ready to leave yet. Sam and I had finally built and gained our brother/sister relationship back. And you, even though I said I wanted nothing to do with you and we should act as if we were nothing to one another, now I'm being presented with the chance to erase you from my life and I can't think of anything worse"  I felt my eyes welling up with tears and turned my face into the opposite direction of Colby.

He soon placed his palm on my cheek and moved my face back to his until we were looking into one another's eyes, just like the first night.

I could see that he too was fighting back the tears, but of course wanting to stick to his reputation of the 'tough guy' he wiped them away and acted as though nothing had happened.

"This can't be the end Mara. I refuse to let it be. We will figure this out. There is no way I'm letting you go again"

"Lets run away together Colby. Just you and me. We can go anywhere and everywhere. And there will be nobody to stand in our way and we could finally be together just like we've wanted since the day we met 5 years ago" I blurted out.

"God I still remember the first day I met you. Sam and I had been put together for a project and of course we couldn't work at my house so he invited me to dinner with you're family. I will never forget how badly I embarrassed myself when I spilt the yoghurt down my top" He laughed as he reminisced on the first time we had ever met.

"I mean, it resulted in you having to take your top off so I definitely wasn't complaining" I paused, "So what do you say Colbster? We finally have a chance to be ourselves, and start afresh somewhere where nobody knows our names. We can leave when I'm discharged from this hell hole and don't tell anybody where we're going. It will be just you and I. Are you in?"

"Mara I want nothing more than to be with you. But work and the guys and Sam. I can't just pick up and leave that all behind. And neither can you. We will find a way to be together, but we have to do it the right way" He replied, looking into my eyes.

"What is the right way Colby? Because all we seem to have is obstacle after obstacle and reason after reason as to why we shouldn't and can't be together. We aren't ever going to be together if we stay. I'll be in Kansas and you'll be in LA. It just wouldn't work. Why cant you care as much as I do? I am literally going to give up everything for you, but you won't do the same for me. Maybe you were right. Maybe I can't be apart of your life" I snapped, pulling my hand away from his.

"Don't be like that. You know I want this just as much as you do. But what you want is just a fantasy Mara, it isn't reality"

"I want you to leave, now Colby" I once again snapped at him, but this time louder.