Epilogue

A/N: I'm not going to lie. I cried writing this.

One Year Later

"I can't do this, there is no way in heaven or in hell that I can go through with this." I panicked. My cat eyes squeezed closed as I tried to keep from hyperventilating.

"Jarolyn, we've spent the last year fighting a war and you mean to tell me you can't face your Anima Alterum?" Hodge's shocked voice prompted me to slowly peek one eye open.

"That's exactly what she's telling you." Jorah chuckled, causing me to groan and slip further into the leather seat of the the car Jorah had bought. Instead of portaling home he had bought a black 2018 mustang and wanted to make the most of our last days together.

"This isn't funny, it's been an entire year!" I panicked, running my fingers through my shoulder length silver hair.

"What if he's angry that the war took so long? What if he hates me! Oh my god, just, just turn around!" I launched myself forwards, tightly gripping the dash as Hodge leaned forwards and pulled me back into my seat.

"Jarolyn, he was fighting a war to." Jorah pointed out, his blue eyes nearly rolling into the back of his head from his eye roll. "And it's Magnus, I doubt my husband is going to hate not only his Anima Alterum but his sister-in-law."

"How you two managed to get married during the on goings of two great wars, is still baffling." I pointed out, steadying my breathing and flexing my fingers.

"Love is funny like that." Was the only response I received as we all lapsed into a comfortable silence. There was still four hours left. Four hours and I would be back in New York, a place I hadn't stepped foot in since leaving a year prior.

One year.

It's funny, how time can change and cause things to change just as quickly. It honestly felt like only a few weeks. Then again, in another way it felt even longer. The Ancient War had been a war I was certain would be the death of me and my siblings. It had raged on for months, only finally ending when our mother and father rose from Hell and fell from Heaven to put an end to Lucifer's rise.

That was another funny thing, while shadowhunters were dealing with Valentine and the petty wars he caused, Jorah, Jorin, Jarlath, Hodge and myself literally fought against Ancients that roamed the earth long before shadowhunters ever existed. We fought against the very things that lead Raziel to creating shadowhunters.

It was very difficult to think about but in a way seemed only fitting. After all, it was only fair that the children of an Angel and Fallen Angel be the ones to deal with the literal fallen angels known as Ancients. It wasn't easier, not in the slightest. I had many close calls, days where I was certain I'd never see my shadowhunter family again.

Those were the moments I broke, I wept and cried and prayed far harder than I had ever prayed in my life. Where the darkness reached out and trapped me, pulling me from the light I fought so desperately to preserve. And yet, for all of those close calls, all those feelings of hopelessness, we emerged.

We still stood, as one, beacons in the dark for all those lost. Warnings to all those who dared to dim the light of the realms. We were the Four Warlocks, the Four Guardians and in the end the Four Beacons that would remain for centuries to come. After all, what else would one with great magic do with their immortal souls?

"So, what is everyone going to do when we get home?" Jorah's question pulled me from my thoughts of the last year. I looked from the window I had been peering out of and twisted in the passenger seat to look at both him and Hodge.