Chapter 2- Dreams

{This chapter has been edited}

Four hours.

It was nearly fours hours since they left for a supposedly easy mission. Running my fingers through my hair once more I sighed heavily. 

I had been pacing in my room so much I was certain there would be an obvious path worn into the wood floor. Despite not leaving my room since they left, I knew something was wrong.

After every mission Jace came to see me. More times than not it was to brag about how amazing he is and on the occasion complain about Alec keeping him from breaking a large amount of rules in one night. 

Regardless, he always showed up but tonight was different and that was why I was pacing a trail in my floor.

I sat on my bed, resting for a moment as I peered up at my ceiling. Another sigh escaped my chapped lips; I should really stop gnawing on them when worried. 

Still, the seconds ticked by, being counted by the grandfather clock that stood in the far corner of my room. It might have been odd, having a grandfather clock in a bedroom but it typically brought me solace during long nights.

My gaze moved from the ceiling and to the clock, watching the tiny and thin hands tick slowly across the small lines. When Jace and I was first brought here years ago, we had been allowed the honor of choosing our own bedrooms. A small thing to normal children but a huge milestone for us.

I had chosen this room, located on the third floor and not far from a secret corridor that lead directly to the greenhouse. Jace, being the overprotective twin he used to be had chosen the room across from my own. This had led us to decorate the other's room as well as inspecting it to make sure it was safe and easy to escape from.

As we got older we changed our rooms to our own liking but agreed to keep at least two things the other had decorated with. I kept the forest green painted walls, slowly painting flowers throughout the years as a means to pass the night. 

The grandfather clock had been another thing I kept, I never did find out where he got it but kept it nonetheless. Jace in turn had left the painted black walls along with a potted moonflower. I would sometimes catch him staring at it during the night, waiting for it bloom.

Rubbing my hands together, I stood and got ready for bed, rushing through my nightly routine in case I missed him. Still, nearly twenty minutes later and now ready for bed; he never came. I forced myself to crawl underneath the blankets and lay down. 

If I didn't I'd keep pacing and I had done enough of that. Forcing my eyes to close I relaxed my tense muscles. With any luck, I could focus on trying to remain relaxed until he got back; after all what more could I do?

~~~~~

"Find those brats!" The sound of a gravely and sinister voice hissed. 

From the space Jace and I hid, it sounded as if he was standing on top of us. My body trembled as I desperately tried to stifle my sobs. I clung to Jace, squeezing my eyes as tightly shut as I could. We had been raised to fight demons but we never thought we would have to fight people and that was more terrifying.

"What the hell? Where is that smoke coming from?" A second voice shouted, further away and slightly muffled.

My body was suddenly being jerked backwards as thick black smoke filled the crawl space we hid inside. Sounds of loud and choked coughing filled my ears, mingling with panicked screams.