Chapter 11- Magic Training

{This chapter was edited}

Training was something I knew first hand and had little to no problem performing. So after a night full of tossing, self doubt and mild self loathing, I was in an empty room inside Magnus's home. 

I had been here ever since early morning, only speaking to Zendella when I was eating some toast. She offered a few tips to perform simple tricks, much like I had done with the children shortly after returning last night.

What I did have a problem with was magic in it's entirety. Every time I tried to recreate the odd mist I used yesterday nothing would happen. My frustration led me to simply doing basic training to reassure myself I wasn't hopeless. 

Eventually, I found myself lying in the center of my new training room, creating a small blue-white orb and tossing it up in the air and catching it, allowing it to flow into my veins before reproducing the orb all over again. My mark had appeared shortly after my twelfth failed attempt and surprisingly had yet to fade.

"You do realize it is an ungodly deed to be up at this hour." The scratchy voice of Magnus pulled my attention from my mark only to see him standing above me. 

Despite his voice being thick with sleep he seemed wide awake and dressed to either go to a fashion show or take on Valentine; I wasn't sure which it was.

"I'm trying to learn how to do more than simple tricks." I sighed, standing and smoothing down my tank top. "I want to help, not just hide or rely on everyone. I was raised as a fighter and I've spent the last two years hiding."

"Well, I highly doubt you're going to help by just lying about." Magnus chided as he wrapped his fingers around my wrists and lifted my hands up. 

"Let's do something more interesting, make a portal." He moved backwards and to the side where he gave me a taunting smile as he motioned for me to hurry up.

"That's impossible, creating portals takes a lot of concentration and understanding of basic magic." I shook my head, lowering my hands. "I can't do it." I sighed, glancing into his eyes before peering at my hands.

"Saying you can't do something means you're afraid. I wasn't aware that the great Jarolyn Bane afraid." Magnus taunted.

I sighed before looking back only to see him lift his hands and move them in an oval shape in the air. As he done so a red-black portal appeared, bending inwards and spreading out in the oval shape Magnus mapped out in the air. 

The air in the room pulled towards the portal, causing tendrils of my hair to fly and tickle my skin. Once the portal was created he glanced back at me, a teasing grin playing at his lips.

"Our knowledge is shared, which means you can create a portal as long as you're willing to do so." He teased, moving away from his portal as he waved his hand and the portal vanished. "You try."

"Can't stand being told no, can you?" I questioned as I rolled my shoulders and lifted my arms once more. From the corner of my eye I watched as his lips quirked upwards into a brighter grin as he stood next to me but kept his hands to himself.

"If you want we can always make a game of it," Magnus commented, motioning for me to focus and mimic his movements. "You tell me no, I pretend to listen and in the end I convince you to do what I want."