Chapter 32- See You Again

Everything seemed to be happening so quickly, I couldn't recall how in the hell I had appeared here, next to a traitor, next to the man who was like my father. Outwards I was calm and collected, standing next to him with my hands clasped in front of me.

 On the inside I feared for what was happening to back at the Institute. I had cut off all mental ties with Magnus for fear of pulling him in. Hodge stood next to me on the docks, he was standing silently, over looking the water with the mortal cup tightly grasped in his hand. I knew we were waiting for Valentine, a man I had only met once since his return.

"Is it worth it? Betraying your family?" I questioned in a soft tone as I thought of the crest fallen face of Izzy, the sheer horror and panic in Alec's eyes and the sheer anger in Jace's.

"I wanted to be free, you should know more than anyone what that's like." Hodge spoke as he turned to me.

"Freedom always comes with a price," I whispered as I fought the anger that swelled in my chest.

 There was something else that swelled within me, remorse and understanding. I knew all about Hodge's past, I had comforted him when I was younger and he had nightmares. The greenhouse was both of our escapes and I had seen him vulnerable, I knew he wanted freedom but I had hoped he would never return to the Circle.

"You've always been so wise, you can run, leave if you like. I won't keep you and force you to meet him, I don't want you or Jace anywhere near him. I meant when I said you were the daughter I always wanted." Hodge admitted.

Just as Valentine appeared, a large group of circle members trailing after him. I lifted my head and gave him a stern look as I stood closer to Hodge. A deadly game had formed and I wasn't certain if I was brave enough to see it the end.

"Jarolyn, my beautiful daughter. I have missed you." Valentine spoke, a fake grin being plastered on his face.

 He held his hand out towards Hodge, who handed over the cup. Instead of speaking I remained silent, biding my time and analyzing the situation. I could easily use my magic to leave but the slight fear in Hodge's eyes held me in place.

"The Cup!" Valentine shouted, lifting the cup above his head and showing it to his followers. 

My jaw clenched as they all shouted in joy and fear filled my chest. He had the cup and the clave had a faux crystal that could only be used once. How did things turn so darkly so quickly? Silence suddenly falls while we all stare in anticipation at what the monster will do. 

A circle member steps forward a glass bowl of crimson blood and holds it steady as Valentine turns and dips the cup into it. Magic surges around in golden and white light as the cup glows only gold for their eyes to see. I can see the magic pulsating within and fear fills me as he holds the cup in the air.

"My brothers, tonight shall be the night we transcend. On this night we will take back what was ours and purge this world of its impurities. Tonight we will be true Shadow Hunters!" Valentine shouts, a chorus of happy shouts fills the night air and I unconsciously reach towards Hodge's hand. 

Ours fingers intertwine and he squeezes my hand as the first man steps forward and takes the offered cup. He takes only one sip before passing it back to Valentine. As Valentine takes the cup once more the man drops with a sickening thud and I can see dark energy flowing around him. 

Seconds pass before the man stands tall, his eyes dark and magic surrounding him. One by One the members all drink from the cup and soon they are all at the mercy of Valentine, and we are at theirs. Valentine turns, a wicked gleam in his eyes as he stares at us, I let go of Hodge's hand as I attempt to control my magic.