chapter twelve: loverboy eyes

A FEW hours after she had gotten home, she remembered how Thursdays were Alessandra days meaning that Elias having to leave early worked out for Nevaeh in more ways than one. She was able to help Ember, although she didn't pay much heed to the reality that she really could've helped her over the phone, she managed to avoid Elias' intrusive questions and still had time to call Ale (despite forgetting that she was even supposed to call her today in the first place).

So, as soon as her phone rang, she was ready, and was currently happily sitting listening to her cousin ramble on about an annoying lady in the shop from earlier that day.

"N, can I speak to Ale?" Kavi's deep voice called out, breaking her out of her Alessandra bubble. Nevaeh looked up from her desk and saw his head poking up from the ladder leading into the loft. Cocking an eyebrow at him, she held up a hand, letting Alessandra finish her sentence.

"-and then this puta grabbed the shirt out of my hand, I'm not fucking joking with you Rey, she really tried to take my shirt - as if it would look half as good on her!" Ale exclaimed, her words slurring together at the speed at which she was talking. Nevaeh couldn't help but smile at her dramatisation and swivelled around on her chair to face Kavi.

"I didn't even miss a beat and I dug my heel into her foot and ripped the shirt out of her hand, I'll send you a pic of it later, spoiler alert; I ended up buying it. She gasped at me and threatened to call security, so I literally egged her on, and this twat of a woman actually did it!" Nevaeh chuckled softly at her shock, running a hand down her face. This was quite typical for her monthly dose of Alessandra; she vented; Nevaeh listened.

"-and so, this big brute of a man put his body in between the two of us - but I'm not gonna lie to you mi amor, he was gorgeous. So naturally a woman like myself turned on the charm," realising how stupid she had been to actually think Alessandra's sentence was going to finish anytime soon, Nevaeh mouthed to Kavi that she'd come find him in about 5 minutes and he cocked his head to the side in slight confusion but nodded, beginning his descent down the ladder, "and obviously it worked because, well I'm me, and he escorted me to the front desk and-"

Alessandra stopped talking for a second, huffing in protest as Nevaeh heard what sounded like a muffled voice in the background. "What do you mean I only have 10 minutes left? No Julio it hasn't been 50 minutes yet I have hour call. It has? Mierda, Rey what did I tell you about not letting me ramble on at you for the whole conversation. I want to hear about you mi amor, honestly."

"It's fine Ale, I don't care if you talk for the whole hour, but, Kavi has been begging to talk to you so I'm going to have to let you go." Nevaeh explained, climbing down the ladder in the process.

"Ah Kavi, mi niño bonito, sí sí, give him the phone." She heard rustling down Ale's end and went to find Kavi, running into something on the way.

"Hang on Ale," Nevaeh said, covering the phone with a hand.

"Jake, why are you up baby?" She whispered, frowning playfully at the 5-year-old running around in his dinosaur PJs at 2am. Jake merely giggled at her, raising his arms out and squeezing his hands. Nevaeh sighed and crouched down, lifting him into her arms and cradling him against her chest.

She walked down the stairs slowly, trying to keep her movement to a minimum so she didn't disturb the sleeping child currently attached to her front. As she headed into the kitchen, she found Kavi sitting at the counter with a bowl of cereal in front of him. He raised a curious eyebrow at the sight of Jake latched onto his twin like a Koala would a tree, and the trunk simply smiled slightly in response, shrugging.

"Ale, you still there?"

"Sí sí mi amor, where is Kavi?" She asked, yawning towards the end of her sentence. It was around 7am for her and Nevaeh knew she had barely woken up before the call. She rolled her eyes at her supposed exhaustion, struggling to buy into it considering the past 50 minutes had consisted of her rambling on at her.