chapter nine: i will throw you over my shoulder

Marvel Infinity War spoilers below!
"IT should've been Clint."

"You only say that because you're in love with Scarlett Johansson." Ember snapped at Colton, pinning him down with an icy glare. Colton let out a cold laugh in response, narrowing his eyes at her.

The two of them had been going on about Marvel for the past twenty minutes.

"Hell no, I'm saying it because Clint was fucking annoying and Natasha didn't deserve to die. She had just started living." Colton stated, not holding back.

Ember gasped and recoiled in horror at the audacity of Colton's statement. She threw an expectant look at Nevaeh, probably assuming she would defend her. Nevaeh did no such thing.

He had a point. Clint was annoying.

"And useless Col, you forgot useless." Nevaeh added, a taunting look overtaking her face. Ember's mouth dropped open and she started muttering a string of curse words in Portuguese.

"You guys have no heart, I swear. Meu Deus, do you not care that he had a wife and kids? That means nothing to you?!"

"Okay? The kids will still have their mother."

Ember gasped at him again. To be fair, that was quite cold.

"I loved Natasha, don't get me wrong, but her sacrifice was necessary. It was the perfect end of her character arc. Pense nisso, it was her redemption; she had a fucked up past and laid down her life for the masses. She died with dignity and honour and she didn't have família or loved ones, unless," She hesitated, pursing her lips in thought, "unless you want to count Banner which I don't because that relationship was inutil."

"Anyway, if you want to be realistic, Natasha was being true to herself by sacrificing herself. She chose the selfless option which showed her development. She got a good ending. Sure, she deserved better, but someone had to die." The Clint-stan was flapping her arms around exasperatedly, illustrating her frustration and Colton followed as best he could, an amused expression plastered on his face.

Nevaeh found herself agreeing with what Ember was saying. It was quite a good ending for Black Widow, it just wasn't one she was happy with. Nevaeh hated Clint and found him impossibly boring. Natasha was the first female avenger and she did so much with such little time, she loved her character and she was sad to see her go.

"All I'm saying is you and Nevaeh wouldn't have been sobbing into your Ben and Jerry's ice cream if it were Clint." Colton said after a second.

"Well, us and the rest of the people in the cinema."

Ember's eyes found Nevaeh's; her expression blank. Her mouth opened and closed a few times in disbelief, probably trying to find the words to respond. She gave up.

"Babaca." Ember muttered, eyeing Colton with a dangerous glint in her eye.

Marvel spoilers end here!!

Nevaeh smiled knowingly, staring between the pair. It was Thursday and they were in the cafeteria for lunch again. Fern was yet to appear from wherever she had gotten to, so it was just the three of them.

Usually Nevaeh would be very strongly opposed to being the third wheel, but today their conversations had been very confrontational and aggressive; something she could definitely get behind.

Elias hadn't come in on Monday, but Ember said she saw him around during the week so she wasn't too worried.

She hadn't mentioned their weird encounter at the Bluebelle on Saturday to the others. Frankly, she didn't quite know what to make of it. She'd apologised profusely to Theresa, but she had only been understanding, and had stopped by Sunday to make sure she was okay and taken her out for lunch.