He's What?

Betty's POV

I was awoken by my door creaking open and little feet tip-toeing across the carpet. I could feel her scramble up onto the bed, using the ottoman as a step, and jump onto me. I opened my eyes to see the beautiful little girl sat on my still half asleep body. She leant down to give me a sloppy kiss, "Morning, Mumma," she said gleefully, a huge smile spreading across her face. She was the happiest child I had ever met and every time she smiled she reminded me of her father. To most people she looked a lot like me, the long blonde hair was the main reason for this I think. But to me, she looked so much like him, the dark eyes were the main give away but the tone of her skin matched his perfectly as well. I always knew he would make beautiful children, and I wasn't wrong.

Embracing her in my arms I croaked groggily, "Morning my sweetie, did you sleep well?"

She nodded her small head, causing her messy golden locks to tumble around her shoulders. I loved when she had her hair down, it reminded me of when I used to wear my hair down all those years ago, how free I felt. I always wanted her to feel free and in control of her own life, unlike I did growing up. She looked at me with a cheeky grin and said, "Can we have pancakes for breakfast? Pleaassseeeee!" How could I say no to that face?

"Alright," I replied tickling her until she squirmed. She always had the power to put me in a good mood, she was my one ray of happiness in an otherwise pretty bleak life. I pulled the covers off, bracing myself for the cold air to hit my skin, but was pleasantly surprised when the air was warm. It had been quite a cold April so far, maybe this was the turn and everything would get better. I had a good feeling about the day, it felt as though change was in the air.

I threw on my slippers and followed Essie as she bounded into the kitchen. Her pale pink nighty flowed behind her as she ran up to Teddie, our golden cockapoo, engulfing him in a massive hug. He licked her gently and she let out a small giggle. It was so sweet to see how much they loved each other. I pulled out the frying pan and mixing bowl and walked to the fridge to get the ingredients. I began mixing them together in a bowl when I felt little hands pulling at my leg, looking down I saw Essie staring up at me with her big brown eyes. "Can I help mix please?"

"Of course my can, hunny." I lifted her up so she was sat on the counter and passed her the wooden spoon. She wasn't very strong, being only three, so was struggling slightly. I offered to help but she wouldn't let me, she always wanted to prove that she could do anything by herself and she didn't need help. I watched her in awe as she watched the ingredients turn to batter, she looked so enthralled. After ten minutes she was done mixing so I set her back on the floor and told her to wait at the table. I poured the mixture into the pan and watched it sizzle away. The smell filled the room making my stomach grumble, I hadn't even realised I was hungry. I flipped the pancakes and was just serving them onto plates as Liam walked in. Yawning, he sat at the table next to Essie, ruffling her hair. 

"Umm, that smells amazing." I kissed his cheek, then put Essie's pancakes in front of her. Her eyes lit up and she immediately tucked in. I fried the rest of the of the mixture, producing five more pancakes.

"Uh-oh, we've got an odd number. Who's gonna get the extra one?" I teased.

"Can I have it? I'm starving and I've been working all week," Liam replied. 

"I work too ya know," I replied slightly irritated.

"I know babe and you do a great job, but I would really like that extra pancake."

I gave him his three pancakes without argument and filled Teddie's bowl with food before sitting down to eat my own. I always put everyone before myself, I've forgotten how to be selfish I thought as I chewed the sweet, mapley goodness. Oh well, this is my life and I have to be happy with it. I'm can't feel bad about it, some people have it so much worse.

As I was eating I was watching Liam, taking in all his features, stopping myself taking him for granted. He had dark hair, short and soft, and dark eyes just like Essie. His jawline was expertly carved and his broad shoulders rose and fell in time with his breathing. He laughed with Essie as she dropped a piece of sticky pancake on the floor and Teddie raced to eat it before anyone had the chance to pick it up. He really was good with her and she really loved him.

I just placed the last piece of pancake into my mouth when there was an impatient knock at the door. I looked at Liam to see if he would answer it, no. I got up and opened the door to reveal my mother. I was so surprised, it was 9:30 on a Saturday morning. I forced a smile and invited her in.

"What are you doing here?" I asked as I gave her a hug.

"Nice to see you too Elizabeth." She was the only person in my life that called me Elizabeth and I hated it. Whenever she was around I still felt like that trapped teenager who had no control of her own life. 

"Grannyy!" Essie ran to my mother, who scooped her up in her arms and gave her a massive cuddle. She always seemed so much more relaxed and carefree with Essie than she ever was with me. She was far more fun and affectionate. She gently placed her back on the ground and told her to go and play in the living room. I looked suspiciously at my mother.

"I need to tell you something but I'm not quite sure how to do it." My intrigue grew and I started to get worried, what could she possibly have to say? 

"Archie's dead."

 "He's what?"

A/N So I've decided to write this story because I really want to improve my writing and I just found out there's no Riverdale until 7th March so this is the only way I can cope :P Please let me know what you think of it so far and constructive criticism is much welcomed. xx