Forgotten Again

Turtle's POV

School was awful. He wasn't noticed at all, but that wasn't unusual, it just hurt sometimes. If it hadn't been for Anemone, he would have been left at school by his mother, Coral. She had been about to drive off with his sister when Anenome reminded him about Turtle, who had still been getting his things from his locker. The drive home took about ten minutes, which was pretty quick compared to the two hours it took for him to get there. Two hours! It was a little awkward for him to be around his Mom after this morning, but she went on like nothing had happened. Honestly, she probably didn't even know that she had left him at home.

She continued to only care about Anemone and what had happened during her day. "Were you stressed at all? Are you sure? Cause if you were, then we can put you in a private school, or just homeschool. As long as you're happy," Coral said.

Anemone groaned. "Mom, I'm fine. I can take care of myself," she said.

Coral looked hurt but shrugged it off with a sigh. "If you're sure. I just want you to be happy." Turtle scooched closer to the open window of the car to get away from the conversation. 

They pulled into the driveway a few minutes later. Turtle happily got out of the car with his things and hurried to the front door. He pressed the doorbell and heard it chime Ode to Joy until someone came and opened the door. It was Auklet.

"TURTLE!" She said, her face lighting up as she barreled into him. It took all his strength not to topple over onto the front porch. "What took you so long! I was waiting for you and I didn't have anyone to play with!" Auklet let her five-year-old self shine through.

"Hi Auklet! Are you excited for your party tomorrow?" Auklet's eyes beamed.

"I am super duper excited! We're gonna have cake and presents, and then more cake and-" She was cut short when Coral leaned forward to hug her.

"Whatever you want sweetheart. We will spare no expense," she said.

Auklet gave her a puzzled look. "Mom, I don't know what that means," she pointed out.

Anemone pushed her way through the family and sat down on the couch. "It basically means that you are going to have the best birthday ever. Well, besides mine of course," she said.

Auklet shook her head angrily then plopped down beside Anemone with her arms crossed. "Mine is going to be the best because I'M THE BEST." Turtle rolled his eyes and walked over to the cupboard and grabbed out a granola bar.

"Anemone, sweety. Your birthdays are equally important," Coral said. What about mine? Turtle thought glumly. Coral came over and took Auklet's hand. "Auklet and I need to go and pick out a cake for tomorrow, so I need you to look after Anemone. Alright?" It took Turtle a second to realize what she meant.

"Yeah, I'll guard her with my life," he said, putting some enthusiasm into his voice even though he felt none.

"Good. Now come along Auklet," she said. Grabbing Auklet's hand, she dragged her out the door and shut it tight. After a few minutes of waiting, Aneome got bored of doing nothing and stood up from the sofa. 

"I'm gonna go hang out at Ostrich's place. Check you later," Anemone said.

"Wait! You can't do that! Mom said-"

"I don't care what she said!" Anemone snapped. "I'm going there whether you like it or not." She saw Turtle open his mouth to say something but stopped him. "And no, you can't come with me. I don't need a babysitter." She waltzed out the door and it slammed shut. That worked out great. Maybe I should follow her... or not. Turtle thought, annoyed at his sister for thinking she was better than everyone, and at himself for being to much of a wimp to stand up to her. He was older after all.