First Day Jitters

Moonwatcher's POV

Moonwatcher took one look and nearly stepped right back out the door. It was terrifying. People were everywhere. Maybe I can call my mom to come pick me up. I mean, what's school good for anyway, right?" She hesitated at the entrance until she made her final decision. She walked out the door and took a seat on the nearest concrete bench. Yah, it was what a wimp would do, but Moon didn't really care. 

She looked around searching hopefully for familiar faces but found none. Why would she? Moon had moved all the way from Nevada to this small town in the midwest. The school wasn't even that big, but that didn't stop butterflies from doing somersaults in her stomach. 

She jumped when she heard a loud scream about ten feet in front of her. A girl had caught sight of her group of friends and they welcomed her with open arms into their tight circle. Moon sighed. She had never really had any close friends, even in her hometown. She tended to keep to herself most of the time. Maybe that would all change this year. 

Most of the kids that had finished reuniting in the front of the school had gone inside to go find their classes. It wasn't as hectic outside the building and Moon took this as an opportunity to finally go inside. 

I need to find my locker. The sooner I can get through today the sooner I can get home to my mother. That's the only person I would like to be running into right now, not all these strangers.

Moon took a few deep breaths and walked through the doors of the school. Up above her hung a banner that read Go Jade Dragons! She walked past it and hurried through the halls. It seemed to take an eternity, but she eventually made it to locker 401. 

Moon began to empty her bag into her locker and started to calm down. She could get through this. Moon hung a picture of her and her mother on the inside of the locker door and couldn't help but give a small smile.

She had taken the picture a few years ago on their trip to Paris in front of the Eiffel tower. Her mother was always away on business trips and it meant a lot to Moon that she had taken off a whole week just to be with her daughter.

I'll do this for you Mom, Moon thought with new determination. She took a few slow steps away from her locker and rammed headfirst into one of her fellow students.

"Ow!" Moon rubbed her head and knelt down to pick up her textbooks. She felt cold eyes staring down at her and dared to look up. He had hair so blond it was almost white and wore a blue hoodie and jeans. His unnatural icy blue eyes glared at her, making her feel incredibly small. 

"Watch where you're going!" He said coldly. Moon recoiled, earning a somewhat triumphant look on the newcomer's face.

"Sorry," she said so quietly it was almost a whisper.

He glared down at her. "You should be!" He said. Moon turned her gaze back down to the books on the floor that was dirtied by hundreds of feet walking in the halls to get from classroom to classroom. 

Winter opened his mouth to say something else but was interrupted by a kid with a cropped brown haircut, a deep tan, and a Jade Dragons football jersey. She didn't know him and honestly didn't know if he was here to help or just make things worse.

He stepped between her and Winter and said, "Winter, what do you think you're doing?"

Winter glared at him. "It's none of your business Qibli, but if you absolutely must know, I'm teaching this person to watch where she's going!" He said. They started to go back and forth, back and forth in an attempt to win this arguement. That escalated quickly. 

Moon watched the argument from her uncomfortable crouched position on the floor, too afraid to try to get up and walk away. This is not good. I know he's trying to help, but I think he made things worse. It's the exact opposite of what I wanted to accomplish today! She got distracted from her train of thought when she saw someone start to push their way through the students, but Winter and Qibli didn't even seem to notice. 

Principal Glory emerged from the crowd. She stepped between the two boys and said, "Boys! What is going on here?" They both froze instantly.

They all had this whole conversation about lead roles in Operas and it didn't make a lot of sense to Moon, but it was probably because she only got to hear part of it before she evacuated the scene with most of the other student when Glory came over.

Moon walked as fast through the halls as she could without attracting any more unwanted attention. The simple tan walls were covered in head to toe with posters of every kind, advertising after-school clubs, and activities. Like I would EVER do any of those. I have much more important things to do with my time, she thought.

The bell rang while Moon was still speed walking through the halls, leaving her feeling like an idiot. She sprinted the rest of the way there.

She could hear shuffling inside the classroom. Moon took a deep breath and knocked on the door. The handle twisted and opened to reveal a girl smiling at her. Well, at least she thought she was smiling. Moon wasn't entirely sure. She had long red hair and eerie blue eyes as if they burned from the inside. She looked like she was trying to give Moon a friendly expression, but it turned out to be more of a scowl. She doesn't seem completely awful. Maybe we could be friends? Eh, probably not, She thought.

Moon smiled back nervously. Webs turned from the board to her and frowned, not wanting to be interrupted. "Your late, miss...?" He said. Moon stared blankly at him until realizing it was a question.

"Oh! I'm Moon, well, Moonwatcher, but just Moon, really," Moon said.

"Very well. Please find a seat." Moon looked around the room. She found one in the back corner near and hurried over to it.

Webs turned his attention back to the lesson. "Ahem! Well, before we so rudely interrupted," Everyone turned to look at her, making her squirm in her seat, "We will continue to learn how to organize your binders for the school year."

Moon quickly stopped paying attention and pulled out one of her favorite books. It was about dragons and magic and fantasy and basically everything that wasn't reality but should be.

After what seemed like forever, the bell rang and Moon hurried out the door along with the rest of her new classmates.  

Author's Note 

Just to clarify, I do not own any of these amazing characters. They are all from the amazing series Wings of Fire by Tui T. Sutherland. All I did was, well, put them in this book. I'm also questioning what ships I want. Pretty set on Turtlejou, but I have no idea who Moon is destined to be with. All my friends are all for Winterwatcher, but I still think Moonbli deserves a chance. If you guys could help me that would be amazing! Oh! And comment down below. That would be great too!