Time for Plan B

Winter

 "Winter?"

He took a second to stare at the two people who had just tumbled out of his locker. Moon was looking up at him, wide-eyed, before scrambling away from Qibli and to her feet. Qibli stared at Winter from the floor, a mix of embarrassment and annoyance in his features before sighing and joining her.

"Winter, um... thank you!" She laughed awkwardly, looking down at her toes to hide the red spreading across her pale cheeks. "We were totally trapped in there, something to do with a sandwich, you know Qibli..." She paused at Winter's silence. "Seriously, thank you," she added, trying to fill the air.

There was something about the way she kept sending quick glances at Qibli that made him think something else had happened, but he wasn't jealous. It just hurt. A lot more than he thought it would, as he felt a knot form in his stomach.

"No problem, glad I was here," he said simply. He nodded to say goodbye and turned back in the direction he'd come.

He heard Moon's voice trail off from behind him, "Qibli, no, I'll be right back..." Louder, she called, "Winter, wait!"

He didn't slow his pace as she jogged to catch up with him. "Really, nothing happened. I just got dragged into it and we were hiding-"

"Moon, you don't need to explain yourself to me. You can do what you want. It's not like we're dating or anything." A heavy silence hung in the air, and Moon looked down at her feet as they walked. They rounded the corner, and Winter couldn't look her in the eyes and instead read the school posters that lined every wall.

"Well, I should probably go. Icicle is waiting in the car for me," he said, ending the quiet.

He turned to leave, but he turned back when Moon said, "Winter?" She chewed her lip, trying to get out what she was trying to say. Instead, she threw her arms around him and wrapped him in a hug.

He didn't move, not sure what to do. She was short enough that she had to reach to wrap her arms around his neck, and eventually he reached down and hugged her back, letting most of his worries melt away. He didn't want to let go, the knot in his stomach unraveling as he squeezed her tighter, but eventually he did. Pulling away, he couldn't hide his smile as he looked down at her, her face a vibrant shade of red.

"I'll see you tomorrow then," she said, the corners of her lips twisting up into a smile.

"Can't wait." He turned away, not looking back as he walked, grinning at his shoes. He made it to the car where Icicle was waiting impatiently, her long manicured nails tapping away at the new phone their parents had bought her. Winter still had the model from a few years ago, and he shot a sour glance at the device.

"Finally," she groaned, pulling out of the parking lot. "I should've just left without you." Winter ignored her, checking his own buzzing phone. Message after message came in, all from the same person.

Winterrrrrrrrr. How'd it go? Did you do it yet? Or no? Should I just be quiet? I'll be quiet... BUT I CAN'T. I NEED TO KNOW. Each sentence was a new message, all from Kinkajou.

"Gosh, who is texting you? Is it that girl you volunteer with? She seems pretty awkward, I think you two would be perfect. A real match made in dork heaven." Winter ignored his sister, typing back a message.

I didn't ask, was all he sent.

The three dots said she was typing before a new message appeared on his screen: What?? Why??? We had a whole plan where you would ask her to the formal, you even asked for my help, which is really saying something.

He hesitated before responding. Qibli was there. He thought about elaborating, but he didn't want to say anymore.

She didn't text back for a minute or two before saying, I guess that makes sense. I don't think you should worry, I've seen the way she looks at you. We'll figure out another plan, I'm the best at this stuff."

Winter didn't respond, sliding his phone back into his pocket before leaning back in his seat, his gaze focused on the blur of buildings as they sped home, his thoughts on the winter formal. He'd been hoping to ask her for a while, but it had never been the right time, especially not today. They were already just two weeks away, so he had to think of something. And it had to be perfect.

Author's Note

Yes, I know, I know. It's short, but at least it's something. GOSH, I love writing Winterwatcher.

Also, random, but if anyone is looking for book recommendations I highly recommend Keeper of the Lost Cities. Great plot, great writing, and some AMAZING ships! I've been binge-reading for that past month.

Until next time fanwings!