Chapter 39 Dark shadows

Depuis le début

Vara stood and turned.

"My lady," the man bowed. He turned his eyes to Iason. "Please leave me alone with him while I examine him. The lady's eyes should not bear witness."

"Come Vara." It was Iolaus who gently tugged her outside. Once in the hallway he steadied her to look at him. "Vee," he said seriously, "I don't think it was a robbery. His sword was gone, but he still had his purse. A robber would have taken it, even if there were only a few coins. Besides, Iason is a trained soldier. I have seen him fight. He is good. He wouldn't be so easily overpowered."

Vara felt the color drain from her face. "What are you saying?" she whispered, though deep down she already knew.

Iolaus confirmed her fears. "I think he was targeted purposely. Someone was after him. Vee, someone means to send a message."

...

Zara narrowed her eyes and glared at the woman maliciously. This girl had taken her place to warm Darius' bed? There was nothing special about this girl and she appeared to be just as empty headed as Ariane.

Zara scoffed at the sight of the flowers in the girl's hand. Such a child, amusing herself with decorating the palace when she could have everything money could buy. She was so... common. Zara almost felt sorry for her former husband.

Almost.

He got what he deserved. His offspring would be weak.

"Careful darling," a musical voice rang at her ear, "you will have wrinkles if you keep glaring like that."

Zara turned around and directed her glare at the harem girl that had spoken. "How dare you talk to me like that?!"

The girl, whose name Zara hadn't bothered to learn, only laughed out loud. "I'll speak to you in any way I like, Zara of the Eastern Planes. You don't outrank us anymore. We are all equal here." She made a wide gesture around the room. Several women were sprawled out on recliners, playing an instrument, braiding each other's hair, drawing pictures. Some of them laughed at the girl's words.

None of them cared much for Zara. She had always looked down on them and they enjoyed it that she had fallen from her pedestal.

"Don't compare yourselves to me," Zara snarled, "I'm better than you and he'll realize it soon enough. He'll beg me to come back."

It only caused more laughter.

"Prince Darius? Beg?" one of the women spoke amused, "oh, he may beg, but to his new wife. I hear he is quite taken with her." She giggled.

"And how would you know that?" another woman asked, but her voice was laced with curiosity.

Her friend smiled deviously. "I don't kiss and tell. A girl needs to have her secrets."

Zara sneered. "You mean you sleep with one of the guards. Or perhaps a servant. What will the king say if he finds out? You're not allowed to involve yourself with other men."

The woman laughed deviously. "Oh Zara, you amuse me. But go ahead. Inform him. See what he will do. Who is to say it was not the king himself that told me?" she flashed Zara a challenging smile.

"Tch," Zara scoffed, "do what you will. I care not."

"Of course you do," the woman answered and she laughed, "but you lost your chance when you refused prince Darius his heir."

"Foolish child," Zara sneered, "why would I want to birth children only for them to be taken away? Why should I let a man dictate my life for me?"

"Yes, because your life is so much more fulfilling now," another harem girl spoke. Laughter followed her words.