"Well once we told Luke the truth we started hanging out more and he kind of helped me figure out my feelings. But um.. You know how Calum was supposed to distract me at that party?" Ashton says.

"Oh god."

"We were both pretty intoxicated and let's just say he did a fantastic job at distracting me."

Michael's eyes bulge. Appropriate blushes appear on their faces.

"Wasn't expecting that," Michael mumbles.

Uncomfortable chuckles fill the car until one of them suggests that they go in the diner. Michael purposely trails behind them, observing their playful flirting.

He's worried, to be honest. He cares deeply about them both, and he knows their habits. He knows that Ashton is likely to move on too soon and that Calum might not take this seriously. Ashton's sometimes arrogant ways and Calum's persistent personality are also things he's very familiar with. In his mind, it shouldn't work. But walking ahead of him is proof that it does. He just hopes they're careful.

Inside the diner, they find Luke tucked into a booth in the far corner. Michael is hit with the same butterflies and nerves that now come hand in hand with that boy.

"Hey," Michael chirps.

"Hi," Luke grins up at him. He pats the open seat beside him as an invitation which Michael gratefully takes. The almost-couple slide into the other seat.

Déjà vu from the last time they were in a booth like this together comes to the forefront of Michael's thoughts. The memory of how well that ended is plaguing him, but as he looks over the scene, he's able to calm himself. Smiles are all around and this time, he's the one beside Luke.

Again, it's strange how things can change, isn't it?

They order a variety of burgers and pancakes, justifying it with the fact that it's too late for breakfast and too early for lunch. Small talk is then exchanged until the food is brought out.

For a good hour their little corner fills the restaurant with melodic laughter. A few send them looks, but they're never enough to penetrate their bubble of happiness.

"I'm telling you, Michael wore that pair of underwear on his head for the whole month!" Ashton finishes his story with, leaving the other three in stitches.

"Did not!"

"Okay it was only three weeks."

They burst into another round of laughter. Luke wipes tears away from his eyes.

"Ashton, I have a lot of dirt on you. You're going to regret that," Michael warns with no real hostility.

"Oh I'd like to hear some of this," Calum says.

"Remember that one time at the zoo when-" Michael begins.

"NO THATS ENOUGH!" Ashton attempts to jump over the table to cover his mouth, only to end up with an elbow-full of ketchup.

Laughing, laughing, and laughing. Michael is sure that that might be the only thing he will remember from this date. There's a warm feeling in the pit of his stomach which he can't seem to pinpoint as to be from the euphoria or the fresh pancakes in his stomach. Either way, his bliss has him on a natural high. All his worries from the other day are completely forgotten.

When the meal is well over and the diner staff are beginning to sigh exasperatedly at them, they decide it's time to go.

They each chip in a bit, except Michael whom has his money shoved back into his hand by Luke along with an "I got this."

Michael and Luke split off from the other two once they get outside, Michael finding it absolutely necessary to walk him to his car. They walk side by side, hands brushing. Each time their skin falls into contact, Michael swears he feels a bolt of electricity. The pink on Luke's cheeks has him daring to hope he feels it too.

"This was fun," Michael says casually.

"Yeah it definitely needs to happen more. But um.. I'm thinking I'd like just you and I to go out some time."

They stop when they reach Luke's car and turn to face each other. "Yeah. I'd like that," Michael responds, trying desperately to keep his voice steady.

"I know things have been kind of weird," Luke says hesitantly. Michael nods at him to go on. "But I think I know what I want now."

Michael is about to ask what that might be when Luke's lips come down on his own. He melts into the kiss as the happiness burns outwards and across his skin. He's burning alive beneath Luke's touch and he's never loved the feeling of fire so much.

A/N: I just finished reading tfios and now nothing I write seems adequate. I hope this clears things up, though.

Love you all!