Chapter 5: Change

[Chaos Slayer's HP: 0%]

My short sword shattered into millions of pieces on impact, flying to every direction while the hilt that I was gripping crumbled in my hands. I landed on the ground in front of the Chaos Slayer who was now standing there, not moving even an inch like a statue. Feeling as if my heart had stopped and my skin covered with sweat, I didn't believe what I'd just done.

I just stared up at the immobile boss, not knowing what to do. The smoke had stopped billowing out from the angelic carvings, the eyeholes of the skull carvings on his armor and his pair of shoulder armor, and from his fiery eyes. Moreover, the carvings and the eyeholes had stopped glowing like burned-out ambers.

"You . . . You've . . . defeated . . . me," he finally spoke, disbelief evident in his voice as clear as day. His fiery eyes looked down at me as his body started to shiver like a person who was feeling a cold wind blowing down on his spine. Then, he fell onto his foot and knee, using his greatsword to support his entire body from collapsing. Because of that, I'd to take several steps back to avoid being in his way. While doing so, I jumped slightly when he laughed hollowly. "I've waited for this day for a long . . . long time."

I just kept quiet, doing nothing but just staring at the Chaos Slayer, waiting for him to say more.

"Warrior . . . by slaying me, you've put a huge weight . . . on your shoulders," the Chaos Slayer continued. "When the Realm of Chaos returns to conquer this realm once again . . . you're the one who shall stand in the frontline . . . with the other two Immortals at your side." Then, he placed a free gauntleted-hand on my shoulder. "It's been . . . a long, long time since I've become an Immortal by . . . Eldria herself. Now, I'm passing down . . . the power of immortality to you . . ."

Suddenly, his hand started turning into swarms of black dust, making me cry out in surprise and stagger back. The disintegration spread across his arms and soon his entire body, being shredded molecule by molecule and spreading in the air.

"What the hell is—?"

Then the black dust started to move like one and began swarming around me like angry bees, almost blinding me. Screaming in fright, I waved my arms around wildly to get them away from me while stumbling backward. Instead, they dug into my character's skin like ants trying to build an ant empire in the ground. But strangely, it wasn't painful.

Before I knew it, all the black dust had dug into my character, and I was left just standing there, blinking my eyes in confusion. Then, a barrage of system messages filled my vision.

[Congratulations! You've defeated the boss 'Chaos Slayer'!]

[Congratulations! Your class 'Warrior' has been upgraded to 'Chaos Slayer'!

[Level Up!]

[Attribute Points Available!]

[Level Up!]

[Attribute Points Available!]

[Level Up!]

[Attribute Points Available!]

[Level Up!]

[Attribute Points Available!]

...

Countless messages of level up and bonus stat points made my eyes grow wide in shock, making me wonder, How many levels have I received?!

When the messages ceased to fill my vision, I quickly opened up my stats with my trembling fingers. When my character's stat page appeared in front of my eyes, my brain ceased to function and my heart jolted as if it'd received an electric shock. "What the . . ."