30 - A long time

Lucas watched her walk away. He'd just failed with his last chance to hold on to her. She was right, his intent was to put a ring on her finger in an effort to keep her longer. She wasn't his possession, but he treated her that way. She had a free will, and she wanted to be a mother. He knew he was doomed the other day at breakfast when she was so enthralled with that child.

Some child would be very lucky to have Bethany as his mother. Would he be a part of her life to see it happen? Could he be happy for her when she was married and lived her life with another man? He always thought of Oliver. Had he any indication that Bethany even liked the chef? He couldn't blame Oliver for finding Bethany attractive, because she was beautiful, inside and out. Would they be able to remain friends if Oliver stole his girl?

He hadn't slept alone in a long time. He would have to get used to it because she was leaving him. He also had to adjust to coming home to the emptiness. There were some aspects of marriage that he'd like. He enjoyed living with someone, but he wasn't sure that he could commit to forever. Part of meeting women and dating again it excited him. New relationships could be intense. Who was he fooling? He would miss Bethany for a long time.

He sat up late flipping through channels on the television. The gala would not be like he planned. He wouldn't have Bethany on his arm. Would she come to the after party and play hostess one last time? He wondered how soon she'd move out. Was it her last night? Again he thought of Oliver and she could go home even with him still there. It was all beyond his control now. He'd be mature and let her go, because he had no other option.