4 - Old man

He hadn't stopped all night, especially for a Wednesday. Oliver knew Portland was a foodie city, but never expected his restaurant would be such a hit. He had been trying all evening to get out of the kitchen to greet his friend, Lucas, but kept getting caught up. Finally, when Ava told him that dessert had gone out to the Sanders' table, he knew he was running out of time. He stopped to greet the diners at a few tables as he made his way to the corner table reserved for Lucas.

When he met Lucas a few months ago, he took a liking to him. He had enough charm to sell a ski chalet to a mermaid, but he wasn't all gloss. He made a point of stopping in to check on Oliver and the progress as they were renovating the restaurant. It was on one of those visits he mentioned going to shoot hoops at the teen center. He convinced Oliver to join him at the exact moment that he needed to get away from the restaurant and the stress. Lucas took him by his condo to borrow basketball shorts. There was a bright blue jacket hanging by the door and the women's shoes on the mat, yet the condo had a modern, masculine decor. Oliver wondered about the woman that would be happy living there.

After a great game of hoops, he learned about Lucas' family foundation. Perhaps Oliver was a bit too enthralled with the exercise or Lucas' enthusiasm, because before he knew it he was offering his restaurant for the gala event. Lucas assured him that all Portland's elite would attend, and his restaurant would be rewarded tenfold.

He approached Lucas intending to meet his girlfriend who was planning the party. His heart practically jumped out of his chest, when he saw Bethany with Lucas. Bethany was the girl he jilted when he was too young and stupid. Bethany was the reason that he chose Portland to open his restaurant. Bethany was the one he'd been wondering about every day since he moved to Portland, but was afraid to ask too many questions.

"Oliver." She was as stunned as him.

"Bethany." He stared into the green eyes that had been haunting his dreams for years. He tried to sound professional. "I'm looking forward to working with you." All he could think of was how could he work with her and see her with Lucas?

As she trained her eyes on the table, she said angrily. "I'll take care of everything. We'll probably just need to email back and forth occasionally... I'm sure you're very busy."

Clenching his hands, he excused himself and retreated to the kitchen. Once back in the bustle and the warmth, that he was so familiar with, he let out a sigh.

"What's wrong with you?" Ava asked, as he slammed down a pan.

"You don't want to know!"

She shook her head and walked away. He'd tell her eventually because she was his best friend. They've been friends since school - long before he left Bethany alone on the beach. She knew too much about Oliver and he couldn't keep secrets from her, his best friend and his partner. He still felt lucky, that she followed him to Maine. She knew why he chose Portland and didn't argue. Oliver knew the fact the city was known for great restaurants helped.

He had searched on-line for her many times and finally found her on a listing for a physical therapy office. He was glad that she completed her goal. Looking to have a reason to see her again, he wished for an injury and imagined walking in. Well, he need not imagine any longer, because he saw her, and she was not pleased. He hurt her that day he walked away, and he knew it. He went back to see her the next summer, but she was gone. None of her neighbors knew where she was. The only thing he knew was that her Nana had died, and she was renting out the cottage.

It was late when Oliver finally climbed in bed, but those were the hours he kept. Even though he was exhausted, sleep was elusive. He couldn't wipe the look on her face out of his mind. Just as sleep was winning, he remembered that he planned to go to the teen center with Lucas the following afternoon. How could he face him?