7 - Magician

Bethany wished that he didn't look so nice. His hair was shorter, so his curls were gone. He had a stud earring in his left ear. Lucas would never pierce an ear. His face and smile were the same as when she met him over six years ago.

Bethany finally slept after convincing herself that going out and joining him on the sofa in just her tee shirt was not a good idea. She woke to a wonderful aroma wafting through the air. She pulled on shorts, a sports bra, and a tee shirt and flattened her bed head before she went to investigate. Her heart stopped when she saw him in her kitchen. He was bending over, taking a pan out of the oven. His biceps were defined and when he turned around and saw her, he smiled. Shivers went down her spine while her eyes were glued to his lips remembering the feel of them on hers.

"I hope you don't mind, but I raided your fridge." He sounded cheerful.

"You couldn't make that with what was in my fridge."

"You'd be surprised. Coffee?"

She nodded. "What are you a magician?"

Laughing he said, "Yes, a food magician. Here."

He placed the plate in front of her and watched as she took a bite. "Oh wow! This is fantastic. Did I really have these ingredients?"

"All of them. This is better for breakfast than a salad." He sat with his own plate.

"Have you seen them yet?"

"No, but I heard them." Bethany rolled her eyes, and he asked, "What are you doing today?"

"I work at eleven and I need to see my grandmother so I have to go soon."

"I'll clean up the kitchen. What are you going to do about those two?"

"Leave them. I don't care."

"In that case, can I get a ride?"

"Give me ten minutes." She went into her room.

Bethany knew why he served the frittata. As good as that first one was, this was incredible. She admitted she remembered that morning.

"Did you use what you could find in the fridge?"

Oliver laughed. "Yes, but the fridge is much larger, and it's packed full."

She had forgotten his dimples that came out when he smiled. Trying to distract herself from the past she said, "Right. I have a checklist I use each year. It's an outline because each year is unique. I'll fill in the details as we go."

"Sounds organized. How long have you been doing the party?"

"This is my third. Lucas' grandmother used to be in charge. After she couldn't handle it anymore, there was talk of discontinuing the party. Lucas offered to be in charge and by that he meant me."

She may have said too much. The foundation was an important cause, but her being responsible for the gala was another decision that Lucas made without discussing it with her first. The last thing she needed was for Oliver to know that her future with Lucas was on shaky ground.

Looking around, he pointed out that they could remove the tables. "Only the bar is permanent."

"We'll have a cash bar. You'll make money that way."

He was giving up a whole night of business to host the gala.