21 - Magician (again)

Lucas had been having a difficult time understanding Bethany lately. Sometimes she was agreeable and affectionate, and other times she was hostile. It all started when he rented her house to Oliver. He couldn't admit it, but he did it on purpose. Oliver solved his problem. He wanted to hold on to Bethany on his terms not hers. If Bethany had no place to live she'd stay with him. He was certain once her house was empty she'd move out. It would devastate him if she left. When he told her he never wanted to marry, he thought he'd lost her, but she stayed. Perhaps she thought she could change his mind.

If anyone could change his mind, it would be Bethany, but his decision not to have children was permanent. If she knew that he had a vasectomy, she would leave him for sure. She showed her trustworthiness by staying on birth control and he felt guilty.

Still her moods were bothersome. She had whined about going out and specifically to the bistro. He thought after their initial awkward meeting, she and Oliver were fine. In fact, he thought he'd recently noticed Oliver looking at her too long. Still Lucas trusted Oliver and understood that she was beautiful. Later at home, he would remind Bethany that they belonged together. They loved each other and their passion had waned some, but it was still magical.

Oliver appeared with their meals and Lucas broke out of his deep thoughts.

"So now you wait tables too."

"Look around it's almost empty the kitchen is well under control." Oliver looked at Beth and added, "I hope you like it."

Lucas asked, "Is it slow enough for you to sit with us?"

Oliver hesitated. "For a few minutes so I can get feedback from Ms. Howes."

He pulled a chair from another table and sat down.

Both men's eyes were on Beth as she tried her meal. She tasted a bite and smiled at Oliver. "That is amazing. You're still a magician."

Lucas watched as Oliver smiled, and Bethany stopped smiling. "Still?"

Beth answered, "Well yes, I told you that Chef's been making lunch for me when we had gala meetings. The first time that I tasted his frittata, I called him a magician."

They spoke about the gala and Lucas said, "I know you're working, but you can bring a date if you'd like."

"No, I'm not seeing anyone. I work too much."

"Didn't you tell me you wanted to live at the beach because you fell in love there? What happened to her? Have you seen her again?"