Chapter 11

I glanced up as Warren jerked awake from where her and Vazquez were sleeping across from me. Doc drove the RV down the road with Murphy in the passenger seat, Addy was messing with a radio as 10k laid down on the couch flipping through a magazine. I sat at the table going over a map, Warren wiped sweat from her brow, "Where are we," she asked looking at Vazquez, "About a hundred miles from Flagstaff, I'm thinking," I said glancing back towards the map. "I don't know how much longer this bucket of bolts is going to last," Doc said, "Talking about yourself or the rig?" Murphy asked a smile on his face as I let out a small laugh. I smiled happy that everyone was getting along, I owed my life to all of them. I no longer was on the verge of passing out from exhaustion or having hourly migraines and I was not having nightmares frequently any longer. "I think were getting close the Grand Canyon," I said glancing towards the map, "I went there once as a kid," Murphy said, "Boy it was beautiful." All of us were quiet as he glanced back at us confused, "What? Can't believe I was a kid once," he asked turning back around. 

Warren stood up and made her way to the front as she glanced out to the landscape, "What is that," she asked pointing to the horizon. "Don't really know, I've been watching it for awhile, and I hope it's not what I think it is cause were headed straight for it," Doc told her. She turned back around, "We need some recon, how's that radio coming along," she asked Addy. "We're about to find out," Addy replied as she handed me an antenna, "Aly hold this outside the window while I try to get a signal," she told me as I took it from her and walked to the window above the couch. I reached for the window but couldn't get it, I stood on the edge of the couch as I opened the window and stuck the antenna out. Addy cranked the little generator for a while before trying to the radio, "Northern light, do you copy? This is delta xray delta, do you copy?" she asked. 

"When's the last time you even talked to that guy anyway?" Murphy asked as we hit a pothole and I swayed trying to keep the antenna steady. 10k sat up quickly grabbing my hips to help keep me steady, "Thanks," I said as he took the antenna from me as I got off the couch and stood next to him. "Honestly he's probably dead by now," he said turning back around, "Well aren't you a ray of sunshine this morning," Vazquez said rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, "Well sorry that's what happens when you haven't had a decent cup of coffee in half a decade," Murphy told us. "Citizen Z, this is your old friend Addison Carver," She kept trying, "Addy I don't think this is working," I said to her as she sighed disappointed.

Static threw out from the radio as a voice came through, "Addy it's me, Citizen Z," he yelled as we all shared a smile, "Man it's good to hear your voice," Addy told him as Murphy passed by and went into the bathroom, "Same, how's the package," he asked. "He hates being called that! It's Murphy!" he yelled from the bathroom. "Murphy is Murphy," she told him, "Right The Murphy, sorry about that I didn't mean to sic the whole world on you," he apologized with a short laugh.  "Anyway, we need the coordinates," Addy said as Warren took a seat where Murphy was sitting, "Right I'll send them as soon as I find them," he said, "Listen there's a massive Z storm headed your way and I strongly suggest heading south, possibly as far as Mexico before you can outflank this horde," he told us. Warren shook her head, "We can not go south," she said, "South is a not good, how is the west looking," Addy replied back, "No! West is a no go," he yelled back, "You should be making visual contact with this horde at any time". "Vazquez," Warren said holding out her hand as he passed her the binoculars, she put them to her eyes and glanced out to the horizon, "That's not a zunami," she said lowering the binoculars down a look of horror lingering in her eyes, "That's the end of the world." 

I glanced up at 10k fearful as the RV made a weird noise and Doc pulled over to the side of the road, "OK everyone lets all stretch our legs," Warren said as we all filed out of the car. Warren went and popped the hood open as I stretched my arms above my head. The bright Arizona sun shone in the clear sky as I stood with the others. "We're sitting ducks out here," Murphy complained as he went to Warrens side, "Well?" Warren slammed the hood down a frown on her face, "If it were a Z we'd pike it," she said rubbing her temples to form a plan. "I've got a plan," Vazquez said going into the RV.