Chapter 4

"I'm going to kill him," I yelled into the sky as 10k patted me on the back,
"Calm down Aly," Doc said from next to us, "I can't calm down when he's the reason I don't have my bat anymore," I mumbled.
" it's just a bat," Vasquez said annoyed, "no its wasn't," I thought depressed as 10K put an arm around me, "She's had that bad since the beginning of the apocalypse when it was just her and her dad," 10k answered for me as we pulled up to the lab and got out.

"You here for the cure," the guard asked us as he let us inside as we nodded, "harvesters wait in the garage, the others will fill you in," he said leaving us. "Do you think he's here," Addy asked as Warren nodded, "yeah I can smell him," she answered as Doc through his arms between them. "I think your smelling the Z weed," he said as we hear a woman scream for help as we looked towards the green house were a blonde woman was trying to crawl out of it, we ran to help her. Addy and I grabbed her arms and pulled while Warren cut at the vines and Vazques killed the Z as she was freed.

She leaned on Addy and 10k as two of the guards came running our way guns at the ready, "What's going on here, I thought I told you lot to wait in the garage," he screamed as he got in my face, "Safety first huh," I said with anger laced in my voice, "Is this how the people who are risking their lives for this so called cure treated." "You got a problem with it little girl," he asked, I opened my mouth to respond but Doc put his hands on my shoulders and spoke for me, "Of course not brother just here for the cure like everyone else," he said as he lead me away to the others as we went to the garage, "you need to watch your temper Aly," he said as I sighed and looked down ashamed at myself. Warren and 10K set the girl down, "I'm sorry Doc I'll keep my cool next time," I said as he patted my head, "That's the Aly we all know and love," he said as he went and checked on the woman.

She was rubbing the back of a little girl as she slept, Doc pressed a pad to her cut up leg as her daughter woke up and she hugged her. I took a good look at the little girl and noticed how sickly she looked. 'Torye would be about her age now," I thought putting a hand over my mouth and walking away from the others. I felt the tears slide down my face as someone put a hand on my back, I turned my head an noticed Vazquez, "I had a little girl around her age and let's just say you are not the only one having a flash back," he told me wiping at his own tears. "Was she you know bitten," I asked curious as he shook his head, "No I was a DEA agent and I had just busted this guy, Escorpions, men. Well he held a grudge on me so he ended up kidnapping my wife and daughter, Julia. When I went to save them I was captured, he had them killed right in front of me," Vazquez said as he relived the moment.

I remembered when we had first meet him and he had fired at those people, "When we first met you and you were shooting at those men they are part of Escorpians group," I asked as he nodded, "What about you," he asked looking over at me, "My littlest sister Torye," I said as he nodded, "I lost my father at the beginning of the apocalypse but I still hold out hope for the rest of my family," I said as 10k finally noticed my absence and came outside with Vazquez and I. Him and Vazquez nodded to each other as he left 10k and I alone, "What were you talking about, you've been out here awhile," he asked as he saw the tear trails on my cheeks. I wiped at my cheeks, "just talking about family," I said as I layed my head against his chest and listened to his heart as he wrapped his arms around me, "don't forget we are your family," he said kissing the top of my hair as he noticed the guards looking our way.

"Let's go back inside," he said keeping his arm around me and leading me back inside the garage and to Doc and the others. I watched her brush back her daughters hair, "How is she," I asked as she looked towards me and smiled sadly, "She's burning up, and I've tried everything to bring the fever down," she told us. "Antibiotics," 10k voiced as she shook her head, "That was the first thing we tried, but the bacteria is drug resistant. I'm afraid to think that she won't last much longer," she told us as we all teared up.