Chapter 10

The jeep hitting the pothole is what forced me awake, 10k loosened his grip on me as I stirred and sat up. The soft notes of a guitar played from the radio as I shivered in the night air, 10k took his jacket I had been using as a blanket and wrapped it around me. "Thanks," I mumbled rubbing the sleep from my eyes, "sorry for falling asleep," i said to everyone as I got into a comfortable position in the back of the jeep. Warrens brown eyes stared at me from the rear view mirror as she smiled, "You don't have to apologize Aly, you have been pulling a lot of all nighters lately," she noted a hint of concern laced in her voice. I nodded as I leaned my head on 10k's shoulder, "you okay?" he asked wrapped an arm around me rubbing my arm to generate some heat. I nodded, "the cold and I don't get along well," I said to him, he chuckled as we looked to the sky. It was a clear, cold night with all the stars shining brightly in the dark sky. A dull ache started up in the back of my head as I braced myself for the migraine, they had become quite frequent the last few weeks. Along with the migraine the nausea hit me as we continued down the road, I tried my best to not show how much pain I was in to the others as I placed a hand against my mouth. 10k noticed though, "Another migraine," he asked concerned as I nodded as the others took notice of me, "I've got some meds in my bag," Doc said as I shook my head, "I'll be ok in a minute," I said slowly.

A few more miles down the road the radio began to cut in and out as Vazquez messed with it, Murphy glanced up ahead as a confused look crossed his face. "Slow down, what's that up ahead," he asked as the car approached whatever Murphy saw. Warren stopped the car as 10k took out his flashlight and shined it over the thing. We all took notice of the cut up z as its groans got louder once it noticed food was mere feet from it. "Well that's a new one for the books," Addy said, "I want whatever did that,"10k said as I smiled slightly. Another sharp pain from the migraine made me wince as the static and z's groans made it feel like my head was going to explode, 10k took notice of this as he pulled my handgun from its holster, "wait," i mumbled as he took aim. I knew it hurt Murphy to watch z's die sometimes so I decided to make sure it would be ok to mercy this one, "Murphy," I mumbled loud enough for him to hear me. He glanced back at me as he saw the pained look in my eyes and 10k ready to mercy the z, he nodded, "Go on," he said as I smiled a thank you and nodded to 10k. He covered his ears as the rest of us followed and 10k took out the z with a single head shot, he put my gun back. "4,235" he said as I smiled, "Thank you," I said to both of them as I put my head on his shoulder as the migraine started to fade.

We got a few more miles down the road when 10k spoke up, "You know they use to find mutilated cattle out here pre z," he told us, "Mutilated cattle," Warren said with a laugh, "like x-files?" 10k nodded his head, "Yeah, my uncle knew all about it. Aliens did it," he said as I leaned up and looked at him, "Aliens," I said, "that's crazy,"  he gave me a  look. "and believing in ghost isn't," he said with a smirk as I playfully got defensive, "hey ghost are real," I said "so if ghost can be real then why can't aliens," he asked still smirking as I did not have anything more to add. I huffed as I went back to laying on his shoulder. He chuckled and wrapped his arm around me once more as I laughed along with him. Doc turned towards us as he was confused, "have you two been smoking my z weed," he asked, " No," we answered at the same time, "maybe y'all should start." Murphy decided to add in his two cents, "Aliens and ghosts are just science fiction," he told us as I frowned, "and zombies aren't," I questioned as he opened his mouth but had nothing to say.

"Alright everyone get on a new topic,"Warren told us as the music stopped completely this time as the car suddenly died, "Come on don't fail me now," warren said desperately as she tried turning the key in the ignition. I sat up a bit fearful as we were sitting ducks out here in the dark. The radio, even with the car dead, began to play unintelligible almost garbled sounds.  "What the hell is that," Vazquez said as everyone stared at the radio, "Sounds like alien crosstalk to me," 10k said, "maybe the car is possessed," I voiced as Murphy turned to the two of us, "Now you're just trying to piss me off," he said as 10k and I both smiled at him. He turned back around annoyed as the sounds continued, "am i the only one getting creeped out," Doc asked, "no," i mumbled as I started looking around cautiously. I had the feeling that we were being watched as I moved closer into 10k's side, my eyes found the sky as they widened at the sight of a bright light hovering near us. I got so fearful that I couldn't find my voice to alert the others. I leaned forward not taking my eyes off the light as I nudged Addy, she looked back at me and followed my eyes. "Warren," she called as everyone now saw the light, "anyone got eyes on where that light is coming from," she asked. The light grew brighter before shooting up into the sky and disappearing, "like I was saying," 10k mumbled as the car suddenly started back up and the music picked up where it left off. Warren shook this off and started driving down the road once more, "well that was exciting," doc said as we all settled down, "I don't want my apocalypse anymore exciting," Murphy said.  Warren began telling a story from her childhood as I rested against 10k, "How's your migraine," he asked me quietly, "it's gone for now," I mumbled quietly as he pulled me closer, "try to get some more sleep, that should help," he told me as I closed my eyes but did not sleep.