35

Fallon stared at Venner with pure rage and wrath in her green eyes, "When we first met, you told me that I should keep a hopeful mind that there was some place better than the walls of Desolate. Then when we finally get here, you want to snatch that sense of belonging away from me."

Venner shook his head and glanced at her, why was she using his words against him? Venner clasped her shoulders and looked at her square in the eyes, "I am trying to help you, Fallon. We are all trying to help you. Why won't you let us help you?"

"Why won't you just let me be happy?" She asked. She looked around at the three men and the bot that looked at her curiously. For the first time she was able to let her guard down and be okay with that and now everyone wants her to bring it back up again. It didn't make any sense.

"This isn't happy, Fallon. This is cult-like behavior, and you'll see it for yourself soon. I just hope it won't be too late for you."

Fallon left the tent again to clear her mind, all of this was too much for her. Venner, Leo and Hawk all wanted to protect her but all she could feel was the constriction. She felt like she couldn't breathe, as if she was being squeezed by a snake. She looked up at the clear indigo sky of Ecula, it was breathtaking to see such beauty in such a dystopia. She sighed and kept wandering the grounds, not even seeking the comfort of her new friend Avis. She needed to be alone.

If she was honest with herself, she didn't understand why she acted the way she did. For the lonest time she was independent and made her own decisions all the time and now it seemed like everyone wanted to keep her from making those decisions. She wasn't used to being protected so much like this; it was something she didn't allow because it felt strange. Maybe she was too harsh on them all, maybe she needed guidance.

She heard the sweet melodic tunes of Avis' violin, and she closed her eyes and listened. It had been so long since she heard his music, anything original anyways. What was it about the sound of his music that seemed to make the world feel more welcoming? In such a grey atmosphere as this? It felt like a calm after the storm, the smoke clearing after a fire and the sun shining after a gray morning.

Fallon felt absolutely hypnotized by his music, it was so familiar and so safe...how can something that sounds like heaven itself come from a creator that was said to be so terrible?

She watched a figure come towards her, his blue eyes glowing in the night like searchlights. Fallon shook her head and approached Gideon, "You're not supposed to be out here."

"I know, Fallon. I just wanted to make sure you were safe."

"Not you too." She crossed her arms.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you."

Fallon sighed and shook her head, "No, I'm sorry. I've been hard on everyone today. I don't know what's come over me."

"It's alright. I know I'm a machine, but I can read your face...you're confused." He told her as he walked around the compound from a distance. The night was silent, most of the people had gone to bed. The illustrious white stars shined in the sky, unhidden by city lights. Fallon could never get tired of such a beautiful sight. If she could give any credit to Venner it was the verse from the Lion Rock Scrolls he had spoken, In a forest, there is moonlight, sunshine casts on dew. A good thing in the midst of bad times is a sign that someone loves you.

Gideon could see the conflict within her, and he laid a comforting hand on her shoulder. She almost flinched from his touch, her natural reaction from his appearance but then she relaxed. "How did you know that I was harmless?" He asked.

Fallon was caught by surprised by his question, "I don't really know. You acted differently than all the other Tompers. You didn't kill us on sight, you didn't fight. You didn't even raise a finger at me and Venner. I just knew."