14

Venner stared at the fire and his bright blue eyes glowed in the dark night like two blue flames. Fallon could see the deep introspective expression on his faceand a question rose up in her chest. She didn't know if it was appropriate to ask. She swallowed and looked at him, meeting his eyes, "tell me your tale of woe, Venner?" She spoke.

Venner looked at her in surprise, "My tale of woe?" He chuckled at such a question. "Everyone knows my tale of woe." he replied in a brooding tone of voice. The only thing that everyone in Elysium had was a tale of woe, the story of how they ended up in the times they were in. It became something of a tradition in Elysium in order to get to know one another.

"I'd like to hear it from you." Fallon brought her knees to her chest and looked at him patiently. "That is if you are comfortable with it."

"Let's make a deal, I'll tell you what happened to my family if you tell me what happened to your parents." He spoke after thinking hard about whether he wanted to relive the hardship again.

"That's a fair deal." She nodded, her green eyes shining.

Venner sighed before speaking, "It was my daughter, Clara's sixteenth birthday..."

Indra kissed her husband happily as the laughing and the dancing mingled with the music of the community ballroom. "I'll have to check up on Clara. I don't see her."

"Okay, let me know when you find her. She's probably with her friends outside." Indra left him and opened the doors that led outside, seeing Clara standing frozen and looking out in the distance. "Clara, Darling. You have guests in there that want to see you. What are you doing here?" She came to her daughter's side.

"Mama, what is that?" she asked, pointing to white flashing lights like lightning skittering across the ground. Indra squinted her eyes and heard metallic screeching and humanized cries of helplessness as the frenzy got closer.

"Oh, my God." She faced Clara and looked in her eyes. "Go back inside, Clara, I beg you!" She pleaded, pushing her daughter back towards the doors of the venue.

"Mama, you're scaring me. What is the matter?" The loud and horrific noises came closer.

"I said go back inside-" she was cut off when a Tomper came and snatched her away from her child,

"You are out past midnight!" A Tomper gripped her arm so tightly it felt as if he were about to slice it off. Indra stared into the cold blue eyes of the bot with sheer terror.

The Divide had activated that night, and no one had caught news of the misfortune until it was too late. Clara's anger swelled up in her chest and lifted her skirt and pulled out an axe to rescue her mother. Being the daughter of the Leader of Desolate made her the center of attention to kidnappers, she always kept a weapon on her, "Clara, No!"

"Get away from my mother!" She brought down the axe but missed, making the bot even more agitated.

"Both of you are out past midnight, execution authorized." The bot uttered emotionlessly. Indra and Clara were brought to their knees side by side, and Clara grabbed her mother's hand.

"I love you, Mama." She looked at her mother, blue eyes filled with tears that mirrored hers.

Indra kissed her daughter's head and whispered in her ear, "When I say, I want you to run and not look back, you hear me?" she asked tearfully. Clara nodded and held her mother's hand tight.

The bot paused. Looking for their records before shooting, Indra indiscreetly and quickly pulled out her gun from the holster she had under her dress, "Run, Clara!"