6

Venner grabbed a knapsack out of his closet and started to fill it with clothes and items he thought he needed during his escape. A flashlight, a large hunting knife and a few bullets in case he came across a gun, it was unlikely but bullets were still useful. He hoisted the bag upon his back and draped a hood over his head, leaving the house at such a late hour was risky but he had to do it. He had a plan to stow away on the ship somehow and live wherever he landed, hopefully the land that he ended up in wasn't infested with Tompers like Desolate was. He ran down the stairs and out the door but stopped and walked a little slower, seeing the robots out, patrolling the streets.

It was briefing day, if Venner had the days right. On Briefing day, there were less bots on the streets than normal, a handful at best. It was eleven-forty and the robots were getting restless, wanting to catch someone after curfew. He wanted to make as much distance as he could before hiding for he night. Most of the Tompers were in their base, getting briefed on new rules, programming and regulations that were being put into place. He could only see four bots roaming around the cold night, wandering like lost deer in the woods. He shook his head and kept moving, if he stayed in one place too long he'd be marked as suspicious.

As he walked, he looked around at the abandoned buildings that sat lonely and without any life to light them up. This place used to be beautiful, a paradise that brought happy irony to its country. The once gemstone blue sky was now a tragic gray and even on the sunniest of days, the thick clouds shrouded the suns light. The people who were once so active and carefree were now injected with fear each day, worrying about living or dying. The streets were trashed, a grimy slum that reminded everyone of the Country's fate long ago.

They were contained like rats in a lab, only fed when they said eat and only went home when they were ordered. This was not life. "This is a nightmare." He mumbled to himself . The clock struck midnight, the very gong of the bell struck fear in Venner's whole body. He looked around, trying to find a place to hide for the night.

"What are you doing?! Don't just stand there, get inside!" An unfamiliar woman with frosty blonde hair barged out of her house and pulled him inside hurriedly, her grip on his arm tight.

Venner was taken by surprise and stumbled a bit as she pulled him into the warm house. He looked around and realized it wasn't a house, it was a garage filled with vehicle parts and gears strewn about. It was dark but it was warm, there was a couch and a fridge along one wall and a pair of stairs that led up to an exposed bedroom. The garage had three vehicles parked inside, an Axe-Dune, Street Serpent, and a Pulse Car. She had some high end machines compared to the state of her home, she must be good at what she did.

"This is where you live?" He asked putting down his sack and looking at the woman in front of him. Fallon nodded and gave him a weak smile, "Well, I know it's not much but it'll be warm." " She stuck out her hand, "Fallon Blade."

"It's nice to meet you, Fallon. I'm-" He shook her hand.

"I know who you are, I didn't think you still lived in Lyosh. I thought celebrities like you would've been the first to know and flee." She replied.

"No, I couldn't go anywhere. It happened so fast." He told her, truthfully.

"Venner Benjamin Stagg, Olori of Desolate and Humanitarian Hero. What brings you here? Why are you of all people wandering about the streets like Scrittle?" She asked.

"Wow, you've summed me up in about two seconds. I'm impressed." He looked at her once more, not sure if he could trust her. "If you must know, I'm trying to escape this hell hole."

Fallon laughed, "Can Lorem even afford to have death wishes?" She asked, sarcastically.

"Very funny." He rolled his eyes. "Some one has to try and leave this awful place."