Seventeen: The Cost of Provoking

" Where have you been?" Tomo panted as he walked through the woods. " I've been looking for you like crazy last night after you pulled that stunt!"

" I'm coming back now," Shannon sighed from the other side of the call. " I assume Jared's pissed as fuck?" Shannon said without much care in his voice.

"You're not going back there, nah."  Tomo cursed as he neared the town. " Jared's not alone, and you better not fucking see him tonight. Meet me at Eric's bar and then we will get you a hotel room for now."

Shannon smiled to himself as he drew closer to Jared's place, the place's sight was in view between the trees. Tall, dark and gloomy. " Sure," Shannon stretched the word. " I will meet you there in ten." Shannon placed his phone in his pocket and approached the steps once he got there. Feelings of darkness dawned on him; his insides shuddered but Shannon shut that feeling off with a long exhale. It was not the first time he had experienced the feeling since he came into Verum Valley. But Shannon knew he had no time, or the effort to figure out what or why he feels that way in certain times.

Shannon stood by the door and dipped his eyelids as he pulled all focus on his hearing strength. He picked up Jared's voice at first who seemed to be handing someone a cup of coffee. His voice soft with the other person, he took a few more steps. Then the second voice came in, it felt, more than sounded to him. It was kind and gentle. And it was pleasant and sweet to the ear as well. Shannon had no doubt in mind who it belonged to as it spoke, "I'm worried about her." 

"I can take you to see her if you'd like." Jared suggested.

"I know she has a shift at the diner right now, but... she always has her phone with her." Anna took a deep breath. " I called her earlier too...I'm just worried. Do you think your brother-" 

Jared waited for her to finish but she seemed to have a hard time digesting the idea, while Shannon took a pause at the other side of the door, rethinking going in at that moment.

Jared furrowed his eyes in concern, then took a step closer to her when he noticed she was waiting for an answer. "Shannon...is capable of everything." Jared's answered in all honestly as he took a seat beside, he managed a half smile as he said, "But if anything, I think his mind goes somewhere else when it comes to women than hurting them." And when he didn't see Anna smile at that, he added instantly to reassure her, "You don't need to worry...I'm sure your friend is fine."

Shannon dropped his hand from the knob and turned away soon after he heard Jared lean and kiss the side of Anna's head.

" I'm here at Eric's" Tomo said holding his phone to his ear.

"Behind you." Shannon said and lowered his own phone; placing it in his pocket and giving Tomo a tired smile. Tomo hid his own as well and sighed in relief.

"Where the hell where you?" Tomo asked.

"Around." Shannon sighed his reply and nodded at one of the back seats in the bar. Tomo followed Shannon to the back and both settled down in quite.

"So yesterday was a mess." Tomo stated matter-of-factly. "what the hell ticked you off so bad to do such a thing? I know you're still holding something against Jared, but come on!" Tomo licked his lip and looked around to make sure nobody was listening, before looking back at Shannon. " The world has changed! people know of our existence! There are laws to punishment our kind now!" Tomo couldn't help but feel irritated. 

"But you took care of the guy." Shanna said in calmly.

Tomo looked at Shannon in digsgust then shook his head in disappointment. "Yeah.. you should thank Jared for taking care of your mess!" Tomo sighed loudly and changed his tone to a more calmer one that matches Shannon's. "Its different here for us...its better-" Shannon snorted at that. "Really! Shannon, please don't mess this up for us here."