Four: The Attack

Tomo barged in from the entrance door an hour later, slamming it shut behind him. He turned to Jared in the hallway standing by his bedroom door.

"What was that all about? you could've just told me you didn't like the diner and wanna ditch!" Tomo asked in annoyance as he approached Jared from behind. Tomo noticed the strange pause to Jared's stance and stopped. "What's wrong?" 

"Why that diner?" Jared responded calmly after a few good minutes, keeping his back to Tomo. " Did you know of her?" 

"What? her? who?" Tomo took a step closer. "who are you talking about?" 

Jared turned to face Tomo. "I.. saw how you looked at her. You do know her from somewhere.." His voice shook.

Tomo paused again and shook his head in complete confusion, unable to piece together what Jared was saying. Tomo's eyes dropped to the open bottle of vodka in Jared's clutch. He approached Jared cautiously. A light bulb went off in his head. He knew Jared often spilled truths about his past when he gets drunk. Truths he would have never spoken of to Tomo if sober. Tomo always found something interesting in Jared truths. Things that always made more sense to him about what goes around Jared's head. 

So Tomo being Tomo, he stepped slowly and decided to go along with what Jared was saying, " So what if I knew of  her?" Tomo asked in a tempting tone. Suddenly a picture of the cute waitress from the diner popped into his mind. " So what if I had a taste of her blood once before, huh?" Tomo continued. "I wanted to taste fresh blood for a change. Love me some waitresses," He shrugged all casual as his lip tugged upwards in a grin.

Jared shook his head in disbelief, almost catching Tomo by his lie but he reminded himself that Anna is a stranger to him after all. He did not know her that well to expect anything despite the deep trust he had felt when he first met her. The alcohol was starting to play absurd tricks on his vision, taking his body sideways but he pushed his arm against the wall to keep himself upright. "Did she ask you not to tell anyone too?" 

Tomo narrowed his eyes weirdly at Jared. "Yeah...did she ask you the same thing?"

Jared sighed in disgust. His head started to spin at the idea of Anna handing out her wrist to any vampire that would suck from it, and for what? Jared felt his stomach turn but forced himself to take a deep breath and looked at Tomo. "And you never planned to tell me?" 

"I did not want to upset you." Tomo shrugged but slowly began to see the level of absurdness their conversation was turning to. Tomo grabbed Jared's arm carefully. " What the fuck is wrong with you? I rarely see you this drunk! Tell me."

"You wanna know what's wrong, Tomo?" Jared pushed Tomo's arm away from his, but not too forcefully. "I saw Shannon last night." 

" W-What?" Tomo said in disbelief as he dropped his hands by his sides. 

Jared swallowed hard then steadied his back on the wall to keep from falling. Turning his eyes slowly to Tomo. "He attacked me, Tomo." Jared sighed deeply. "And he didn't stop. The pain was excruciating. Death would've been easier th-than...that." Jared shook his head in disbelief. 

Tomo looked at Jared in disbelief, shaking his head no. Maybe this time Jared wasn't telling any truths, Tomo was trying to convince himself of that but he knew what was coming out of Jared's mouth was indeed true.

Jared closed his eyes and started remembering the attack. 

Jared was on his way back home from the beach after midnight, it was a past time of his. He had always loved the beach in winter. The road had been dimly lit and quite. There were several strange sounds Jared had heard on his was back, but not as strange as hearing his name being called from the dark woods o his left. At first he thought he imagined it, but he heard it a second time a minute later. Jared thought it sounded exactly like his brother's as he stopped in his tracks. He waited for the sound to come again, but nothing did. Then in a matter of seconds, Jared darted into the woods. With his Vampire speed, he followed the same direction the voice came from, calling out his brother's name over and over again. He stopped running all of a sudden, standing in the middle of the dark surrounded but long, thick trees. Jared turned sideways, looked up around the trees then sighed deeply when he found nothing. It had been thirty years since he had last seen his brother, and despite everything that his brother had become of a monster, he still missed him. Jared waited feeling hopeful, but knew better than to wait for too long, and before he turned to head back to the road, a fast and a forceful jolt took him to the ground. The hit made his head throb in pain, Jared pushed himself up instantly, ready for the attacker but when his vision came back he saw the figure of his brother standing in front of him. Jared felt paralyzed in his place. Shannon had no expression on his face whatsoever. Jared found himself trying to fight back for his life in desperation a second later when Shannon jumped him, slashing and beating his brother up from every angle. Jared screamed at him to stop, but Shannon had bared his fangs too fast and bit at Jared's rib violently making Jared scream in agony. Shannon kept biting over and over and over until Jared was completely weakened to do anything but shake n pain. The attacks had stopped.