Twelve: Five years ago

Note: this is a long chapter. It relates to Anna's past and the incident after her 17th birthday where she figured out what her blood could do to a vampire's body. It also includes her father's death incident and her grief afterwards. You can definitely skip this chapter for now until it becomes more relevant later on in the story, in which I will let you know beforehand. Enjoy your read.

Five years ago

Anna had just turned seventeen; her father, Sarah and Ryan had thrown a birthday party at her house and invited everyone they knew of friends and family. People came bearing gifts and food and by the end of the day, Anna was overwhelmed by all of it but grateful for having everyone she loved around her.

It was past the party time, already late at night where Anna sat out in their front porch chair with her dad, Ryan and Sarah; eating some of the leftover candy and cake. Her dad was sitting opposite Anna, Sarah and Ryan taking polaroid pictures of them all together.

"You've already taken enough pictures for today, dad!" Ana giggled as she snatched a candy bar from Ryan's hand who was about to eat it.

Her dad ignored her and continued taking snaps. "You would want these memories when you grow up!"

Ryan and Sarah both laughed and started making silly faces for the camera. Anna covered her face with her palms and laughed too, she couldn't help it. The three of them had eaten enough sugar that would last them for a whole week.

Though Anna's father was an older man in age, he was more handsome than any man should be around this town. Though he had the chance to date again after her mother had died, and maybe find Anna a nice stepmother to take care of her once he was gone, he chose not to but to dedicate the rest of his life for Anna.

He looked up at Anna now smiling very fondly of her and proud as he took another picture. " Alright, alright." Her dad finally set the Polaroid camera down, and leaned back in his chair. " So what do you guys want to eat for dinner? Pizza?"

Ryan, Sarah and Anna looked at each other for a second and then laughed again, her dad eyeing them weirdly. " I think I'm going to explode if I ate one more thing." This was Ryan, the ever-engaging friend.

" Seriously, you guys don't want pizza?"

" We already ate too much candy, it was such a great party." Sarah smiled to Anna's dad in respect and stood up stretching her arms. " Thank you for such a great day Mr. Gray." She glanced at her friend who was still sitting next to Ryan; she pulled out a hand so Anna could stand to hug her her very tightly." Happy birthday again, I love you!" She kissed Anna on the cheek and then pulled away grinning.

" Thanks a lot Sar, for everything." Ana said smiling, feeling genuine happiness that she had Sarah in her life.

" You're very welcome, but I need to go. It's late! " She said. " I need to wake up early tomorrow for my first day of work at Rover's diner!"

" Yeah I almost forgot about that, well good luck." She smiled softly and then hugged Sarah one more time before she left her house.

Ryan had decided to stay a little longer; he had after all known Anna since they were little kids. Before they even met Sarah at school, who was two years older than them. They three of them had become thick as thieves ever since.

They all sat out in the porch chatting for what seemed like an hour and it was getting really late. Her dad put a palm over his mouth and yawned, then stood up and looked worn out, his eyes weary. "You guys better go to sleep, you still have school tomorrow."

Ryan gave Anna a tired smile before saying, "I should go, though I don't know if I will be able to wake up in the morning tomorrow."

" I will see you tomorrow." Ana chuckled as he descended their porch stairs, and walked home.