One: He was dying

Anna always took the road home through the woods. It was much quicker to get back that way after a long night shift at the diner. Looking at the clock on the dashboard, it was almost midnight. It was a typical Tuesday night, but the work was nonstop. People usually came in big groups; especially in the weekends, and left very late. It was a busy day, and Anna got to know later that half the town's men and women were given a day off from work for organising a blood drive for those suffering from blood loss and are held in the hospital. For the last few years, the diagnosis of blood loss and blood disorders had increased immensely in town, more people were taken into hospital on a monthly basis. The main issue was obvious, but a lot were scared to talk. The service of the blood drive lasted a week and was more successful than any past blood donation project that took place in town. The Mayer of town gave them a day off, as they deserved, since bleeding disorder was the most coomon disorder people suffered from in Verum Valley.

   The windows of the car were rolled all the way down for fresh air. Her thoughts clearing out the lists of orders and number of tables she served all night as cold air hit her face. Anna sighed evenly as she anticipated a hot bath and warm sheets of blankets awaiting her in the house.  A strange scream of pain sounded outside Anna's window and she pressed on the gas forcefully, the car taking her forward. Anna waited for a minute as she wondered whether she imagined the sound. Anna got out of her car slowly and looked around. She knew it was not a good idea, but the sound of pain was hard to ignore. And knowing that the town was full of vampires roaming in town, especially at night, she went against her instinct. She had one hand on the door handle as she heard the scream again only louder as if it was begging for help. She took a deep breath and followed the sound in the dark. Anna walked carefully then took a step back when she saw something shift behind one of the trees. She cursed under her breath. Holding her breath, she found a man beaten up horribly, laid face down coughing heavily on the ground.

"Oh my god..." Anna said under her breath and sat on the ground next to him. As soon as she placed her hand on his back he rolled abruptly on his back revealing a pale face of blood. He tried to speak out when he sensed her presence next to him but a cough was all that came out of his mouth. His body shuddered against the ground uncontrollably. His clothes were torn and all blood stained. Anna's heart dropped at the sight, she grabbed his arm and urged him, "Hey come on! let me help you to my car, you're losing so much blood!"

"Blood...I need bl-" the guy chocked out blood from his mouth, indicating that it isn't in him to move. His eyes were bloodshot red it was hard to spot his pupils. He coughed again miserably, "Please! Give me your wrist..." His fangs were bared out sharp.

Anna sat distraught as realization hit. This was not a harmed human asking for help. The situation turned more risky and dangerous for Anna, but she knew she would never leave the man in this state all alone. The vampire's hands struggled to take hold of something. The scene was horrifying. Anna moved closer in panic, aware of the risk she was taking, and slid her hand in his shaking one. The vampire looked like he was on the verge of literal death as he pressed hard on Anna's hand. She turned to where her car was parked then cursed under her breath. Anna calculated the run back and it felt like the situation would be helpless if the vampire healed, decided to break the law and attack her where no one was watching. Anna felt her heart beat faster, and began to feel shortness of breathe as different scenarios played in her head. She turned to the vampire and observed his face, he did not look like the evil type, but all vampires looked alluring in one way or another. As time passed slow, Anna forced herself to remain strong since she made the decision to stay and help the man bleeding in front of her. The vampire seized her hand more firmly, bringing her complete focus to him, then opened his eyes widely looking at Anna like a demon ready to bite.

The vampire did not waste time which he did not have much of as he pulled her wrist at once to his lips and sank his fangs deeply into them. Anna gasped at his quick movement, paralyzed and helpless. Tears slid down her cheeks like a rain parade while the vampire continued to suck and feed on without resistance. Anna surrendered to the dreadful moment and allowed for it to happen. Her head spun as minutes went by with her blood being absorbed, her vision slowly fading. She fought for air to reach her lungs but-