Chapter 18: The Pensieve

The door of the office opened. “Hello, Potter and Black ,” said Moody. “Come in, then.” Harry and Athena walked inside. They have been inside Dumbledore’s office once before; it was a very beautiful, circular room, lined with pictures of previous headmasters and headmistresses of Hogwarts, all of whom were fast asleep, their chests rising and falling gently. Cornelius Fudge was standing beside Dumbledore’s desk, wearing his usual pinstriped cloak and holding his lime-green bowler hat.

“Harry! Athena! ” said Fudge jovially, moving forward. “How are you two?” “Fine,” they lied.“We were just talking about the night when Mr. Crouch turned up on the grounds,” said Fudge. “It was you two who found him, was it not?” “Yes,” said Athena and Harry.

Then, feeling it was pointless to pretend that They hadn’t overheard what they had been saying, they added, “we didn’t see Madame Maxime anywhere, though, and she’d have job hiding, wouldn’t she?” Dumbledore smiled at Athena and Harry behind Fudge’s back, his eyes twinkling.

“Yes, well,” said Fudge, looking embarrassed, “we’re about to go for a short walk on the grounds,Athena and Harry, if you’ll excuse us . . . perhaps if you just go back to your class” “we wanted to talk to you, Professor,” Harry said quickly, looking at Dumbledore, who gave him a swift, searching look.
“Wait here for me, Harry and Athena ,” he said. “Our examination of the grounds will not take long.” They trooped out in silence past them and closed the door. After a minute or so, Harry and Athena  heard the clunks of Moody’s wooden leg growing fainter in the corridor below.

They looked around. “Hello, Fawkes,” they said. Fawkes, Professor Dumbledore’s phoenix, was standing on his golden perch beside the door. The size of a swan, with magnificent
scarlet-and-gold plumage, he swished his long tail and blinked benignly at them Harry  sat down in the chair in front of Dumbledore’s desk. Athena was petting and talking to Fawkes who decided to perch on her shoulder. For several minutes, they sat and watched the old Headmasters and Headmistresses snoozing in their frames, thinking about what they had just heard, and running their fingers over their scars. It had stopped hurting now.

They felt much calmer, somehow, now that they were in Dumbledore’s office, knowing they would shortly be telling him about the dreams. Harry looked up at the walls behind the desk. The patched and ragged Sorting Hat was standing on a shelf. A glass case next to it held a magnificent silver sword with large rubies set into the hilt,which Harry recognized as the one he himself had pulled out of the Sorting Hat in his second year. The sword had once belonged to Godric Gryffindor, founder of Harry and Athena's House.

He was gazing at it, remembering how it had come to his aid when he had thought all hope was lost, when he noticed a patch of silvery light, dancing and shimmering on the glass case. He looked around for the source of the light and saw a sliver of silver-white shining brightly from within a black cabinet behind him, whose door had not been closed properly. Harry hesitated, glanced at Athena and Fawkes, then got up, walked across the office, and pulled open the cabinet door. He saw Dumbledore's Pensieve  laying in the cabinet, with the odd carvings,runes and symbols that Harry and Athena recognized from last year.  He waved Athena over she came over and looked back at the contents of the basin, and prodded them.

The surface of the silvery stuff inside the basin began to swirl very fast.
Harry and  Athena bent closer, their heads right inside the cabinet. The silvery substance had become transparent; it looked like glass. He looked down into it and saw an enormous room below the surface of the mysterious substance, a room into which they seemed to be looking through a circular window in the ceiling. The room was dimly lit; he thought it might even be underground, for there were no windows, merely torches in brackets
such as the ones that illuminated the walls of Hogwarts.

Athena Black And The Goblet of Fire (sequel to The Story Of Athena Black )जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें