"Well you are my maid and hereby give you permission to have fun tonight and dance with the man," I tell her playfully and I swear her face lit up like a candle. On our way down she keeps thanking me. I laugh at her gratitude and tell her it's fine. She's allowed to do something fun tonight. It's my birthday and not my mothers.

I walk down the stairs and the main hall is decorated with curtains in different shades of green. The tables have beautiful flower pieces on it with as a main component my all favourite ivy.

The sun is setting and it's last rays cast a magical glow on the garden. The sky is filled with orange, pink and purple colours. I can tell the gardeners did an amazing job, the flowers look magnificent and smell amazing. I spot a few familiar faces soon enough and I start to catch up. Many of these people are guests my mom invited. Some, however, are here because I invited them. Mostly girls from classes I got along well with but it still bugs me my best friend can't make it.

The harpists and flautists play along as the crowd grows larger by the minute. Some tables are piling with pretty wrapped presents and others are filled with the most amazing food. I end my conversation with the girls and head over to the table with deserts. I've always been a sweet tooth and I take three to four tiny pastries and shove them in my mouth. I close my eyes and enjoy the sweet flavours in my mouth as I gently chew. My stomach begins to rumble and I realise I haven't eaten since noon. I decide to go for a more filling meal, I can return to the dessert table again later this evening.

At another table, I find the most complicated salads and other green dishes. Some scarce remains of meat remain and I quickly take the last piece of chicken. Chicken is actually the only meat we eat, every kin has its own sigil and animal protector. Ours is the Tree of life and a buck.

So of course, there is this rule forbidding us from eating buck, deer and other forest animals and I happen to be a meat lover. Just my luck again, so while I am devouring this piece of chicken on possibly the most ladylike manner ever, a voice startles me.

"Why is the celebrated lady looking so glum?" It asks and I nearly spit out my chicken.

"Sorry?" I ask after swallowing. The young man laughs.

"I mean, aren't you supposed to be gleaming? It's your birthday after all," he goes on.

"Ah, I didn't notice you creeping up to me," I answer the stranger and I cringe after the words left my mouth, way to go Arwyn, way to go.

The stranger chuckles and offers me a hand. "Let me make it you, it isn't nice to scare a princess on her birthday," he smiles and I as strange as it sounds I take it without hesitation.

"How do you plan on making it up to me?" I ask him curiously as he leads me towards the fountain.

"Well, first of all," he says as he reaches inside the jacket of his blue greyish dress suit, "I believe the princess needs to be blooming today," he places something in my hair and when I look down in the water of the fountain I see a blush pink rose in my hair.

"Did you just stole a rose from our garden?" I ask him surprised, faking a slightly angry tone. "The gardeners will have your head for this,"

He shakes his head laughing, "don't worry, I asked." A weird sound cuts through the air and colours erupt in the corner right eye. A bunch of gasps and squeals follow shortly after and when I turn my head I see a fountain lighted by weird bubbles, even though I don't know what it is, it looks beautiful. The crowd parts and a massive cake rolls over to us, it is big, white and it looks like it is made of crystals on the inside. It is stunning and everything I ever hoped for. The chefs bow as the present the cake and cut it to give me a piece. It is deliciously soft and sweet.

The music changes shortly after and it is time to dance. In all honesty, I'd rather stay here with my cake but the charming stranger has other plans.

"May I have this dance, my lady?" and he offers his hand once again. I take it and we make our way inside. Never have I thought I would dance on a floor as polished as this. We bow and start off. Underarms aligned and walking a circle. The rest of the dance is a bit off a blur as I can't really remember what the steps were supposed to be.

"You never told my your name," I tell the stranger as we dance.

"I must've forgotten, I suppose that is your fault," he says smoothly and I swear he is the most charming person I have ever seen.

"Joel," he says, "Like jewel only more masculine," he tells me and I chuckle at his odd explanation.

"You're a funny guy, why haven't I met you before?" I ask him laughing and he shrugs.

"I guess you never paid attention, I-"
he starts to say but is cut off by the doors opening. My mother, the queen, walks in and the room bows. She walks ahead, determined and straight for the thrones at the opposite of the room.

When she reaches her destination she motions for me to join her. I give Joel a confused look before joining my mother.

"First of all, I'd like to thank everybody for coming. You've all been wonderful. Now, for this special occasion, we have an announcement to make.

Arwyn, the crown princess, will be queen soon. However, the council has decided she cannot rule alone. That is why we are delighted to announce that there will be a royal wedding twelve moons from now.

Congratulations Arwyn, with this very special moment," mother announces proudly.

I stand still, watching the guest go wild and applaud. I fake a smile and wave politely. Inside I am screaming, crying and panicking. She can't do this to me. I spot Francesca, standing next to Druten and I seek eye contact with her. She doesn't look as surprised as me and my mind floods with sadness. My only true friend inside the castle knew and never told me.

I can't get married, I won't get married. I will run away. Tonight.

_______________________________

I couldn't wait to get the second chapter up. So here it is! Three days early. I hope you like it so far, comment your thoughts below and don't forget to hit the little star on the left ⭐

Xoxo OJI

Alorne ✔️On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara