Chapter 47 - GOKU

There was a pain forming in my lungs, but with every breath I became hungrier for the truth. What on Earth had just happened? I tried to pull myself away from the ground, my hands desperately scanned the surface around me, finding the cause of my lack of movement. A slab of concrete had collapsed down onto my legs, which, with a harsh and direct punch shattered allowing me freedom. I couldn't see further than a few inches in front of my face, the room was swamped in dust and debris.

"GOKU!" The sound of a choked cry escaped from ChiChi's lips, it was distant and fading. She was fading, and fast, but it was becoming harder and harder to see the room that was once our beloved bedroom. Shoving myself away from the wall, I pulled myself up and onto my feet. The faint sensation of broken concrete lay below them, only causing my mind to race to the idea... What had caused this?

My hands blindly drifted along the edge of the wall until I could finally feel the edge of what once used to be the bedroom door frame.

"ChiChi, where are you? Are you okay?" I desperately listened out for any sign of her breathing or any words that she would manage to mutter, but there was nothing. Except the pure and absolute silence which claimed the building, that only moments ago was alive with laughter. I could hear my yell echo for only a second, I glanced up the hall which was completely shrouded in darkness until I glanced up towards the kitchen, which was beaming with light. Which was flooding in from every angle, and the light was riddled with the colours of the sunset that we'd seen on the walk home.

"Goku please help." My name stirred from behind me, there was a movement and for a moment I couldn't recall whose the voice was until I finally allowed myself to concentrate.

It was Darcy.

"Darcy, if you can hear me, I have to go and help ChiChi, I'll be right back for you. Just hold on, please." I took the last push through the doorframe and finally I found myself stumbling down the corridor. I covered my eyes, because the closer I got the harder it became to see anything. The light was blinding, as it coated every surface. Finally, I could see the room and what had happened.

The room had caved in on one side, and any remnants of the kitchen were long gone, there was nothing left but a gaping hole where it had once been. My eyes darted around the room, searching for them. I caught sight of Piccolo who from the look of him was still semi-unconscious. But Gohan and ChiChi were no where to be found, until I caught sight of Gohan.

His entire body was covering up something that was draped across the floor. At the sound of my foot steps Gohan's head turned to face me and that's when I could see the look in his eyes, it was as clear as day.

"Dad..." The sound of his voice cracked, as the words failed to pass by his lips. His eyes glazed over as they turned back to the draped figure. I ran to his side, sliding in beside him. My eyes refusing to gauge the look he was trying to give me, the only thing I could find myself looking at was the body of ChiChi who was draped in his arms. I pulled her from his arms and pulled her face to mine. Her eyes were closed, her lips parted. Every inch of skin was smothered in bits of debris and dust, there were scratches all over her body, but otherwise she looked reasonably unharmed.

But she wasn't breathing...

"ChiChi please, I need you to wake up now, okay?" My hands lightly shook her fragile frame, and for a moment I knew I was losing my patience. Why wasn't she waking up?

"ChiChi, you have to wake up. Please!" The desperation was horrible and weak sounding on my tongue, but this was not going to happen. I refused to lose my wife. With one more gentle shake her eyes began to slide open, I gazed down watching every movement carefully. Her lips parted further as her lungs grasped ahold of any air it could possibly find, and with that breath she was back.